How to invite someone to Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

How to invite someone to Skype

I want to invite a friend to add me on Skype. I don't know if they have Skype yet because a Skype search of this e-mail address yields nothing. I want Skype to send a message to this address inviting them to join Skype and add me. As was so easy to do with windows live messenger, but can't find how to do it with Skype. Pretty basic stuff, right? Should be easy to find but can't.

Question2013
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 16 (15,848 Views)

Re: How to invite someone to Skype

You can send an email invitation to join Skype. Type the email address in the searchbox and send invitation.

addmsncontact.PNG

Adding contacts (Windows desktop)

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 8154
Message 2 of 16 (15,826 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can't do it. I entered an e-mail address, say "[edited for privacy]" just for example. Skype answers with "No results for [edited for privacy]" Which means to say that Skype cannot send an invitation to an unknown e-mail address that it doesn't already have in its system somewhere.

Suppose I have a friend with a brand new e-mail address and I want to invite them to join skype. Can't do it, apparently. Again, pretty basic stuff that should be easy to do.

Question2013b
Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 16 (15,813 Views)

This was possible with older Skype versions (e.g. 5.10) but is not possible with the recent versions. Now it is only possible to use an email address to search/invite contacts if this email address is registered in some persons account. You have to use a regular e-mail client in order to send an invitation to your friend to join Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7324
Message 4 of 16 (15,807 Views)

[ Edited ]

Question2013b,

You can use People website.

Login to http://people.live.com/?rru=contacts

Click Manage >> Invite on Messenger.

invite.png

Type the email address then press Next.

invite1.png

and send invitation. 

invite2.png

invite3.png

You will see a confirmation message on the next screen.

invite4.png

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 8154
Message 5 of 16 (15,797 Views)

and how does having someone on your Messenger list add them to your SKYPE list ?????

SKYPE should make it easier to invite friends.

Tamim wrote:

Question2013b,

You can use People website.

Login to http://people.live.com/?rru=contacts

Click Manage >> Invite on Messenger.

invite.png

Type the email address then press Next.

invite1.png

and send invitation. 

invite2.png

invite3.png

You will see a confirmation message on the next screen.

invite4.png

Nisasoraya
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 6 of 16 (15,654 Views)

There is the easy way of sending the Skype download link to the other user via normal email and get them to register and then add you by searching for you and then you accept as a contact and Save them to your account.
=========================================================================
If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button.
If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
DJSampat
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 7 of 16 (15,651 Views)

What is the Skype download link ? Can you paste it here please. Thank-you!

Nisasoraya
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 16 (15,614 Views)

The general download link is:

http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-computer/

My preferable installation link is msi-installer for the currently latest Skype version. Right now it is 6.5.0.158

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.5.0.158.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7324
Message 9 of 16 (15,603 Views)

By the looks of things Microsoft has got hold of it and messed it up.

In the older version it was designed around the user, e.g. need to speak to a friend colleague, add user ah not in the directory by name or email or pciture to recognise, so send invite via email. Skype sends nice invite email and away you go.

They have by the looks of things messed up their release management by removing a useful feature. My personal PC has this feature old version my work one does not.

Please Skype sort it asap. or at least reply to your customers on this forum.

thank you.

MindBody
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 10 of 16 (15,128 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling