How to get Skype to NOT start up automatically

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

How to get Skype to NOT start up automatically

I just installed Skype on my new computer, and every time I turn my computer on, Skype starts up. I don't want it to start up unless I'm going to use it. Is there a way to make it so that Skype doesn't start automatically? I'm starting to get irritated by having to quit the program every time I turn my computer on.

ruwim
Community Ambassador

Accepted Solution

In Skype go to Tools -> Options -> General settings. Uncheck the option: "Start Skype when I start Windows". Save. Quit Skype and reboot your computer.

View solution in original post
jessb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 26 (57,907 Views)

Re: How to get Skype to NOT start up automatically

In Skype go to Tools -> Options -> General settings. Uncheck the option: "Start Skype when I start Windows". Save. Quit Skype and reboot your computer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6399
Message 2 of 26 (57,873 Views)

Fantastic! Thank you!

jessb
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 3 of 26 (57,864 Views)

I have downloaded the latest free version, but there is no "Tools> Options available.  There is only "Tools >Connection Options" and under this, there is no such option to disable auotmatic startup.  When I downloaded the program, I checked off the option "don't start up automatically", but obviously that did not work.   I am on Windows 7.

thanks

h-edward
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 26 (56,868 Views)

What you are seeing is only the login window. Have you logged in Skype with your user name and password?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 5 of 26 (56,854 Views)

Thanks, that worked, and I rebooted and it is not launching now. If it does, it is due to another program, so I'll watch which if any program launches it.

h-edward
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 26 (56,796 Views)

I tried that on two different win7 systems, and it didn't work. :sad: (Elsewhere I've seen advice to edit the Registry, but that shouldn't be necessary, should it??)
jdh01
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 26 (36,004 Views)

If the option: "Start Skype when I start Windows" is not selected, and your Skype is still starting when Windows starts, then most likely you have other applications installed which starts with Windows and in turn start Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 26 (35,965 Views)

Do you know of any such applications by name?  I've never heard of such a thing before...

jdh01
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 26 (35,948 Views)

Do you e.g. have any Skype wireless or Bluetooth phone application installed?

You can also open Windows System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) -> Startup tab, and look for any applications selected there.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Annoying-autostart-feature/m-p/973234#M71761

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 26 (35,942 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling