How to find deleted contacts?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

How to find deleted contacts?

Is there a way to find a deleted contact? I can't remember their username.

Accepted Solution

by Primemover

unfortunately, apart from that one, i think there is no way to retrieve or find information on deleted contacts (with the exemption of contacts you deleted and blocked).

View solution in original post
BuhRock
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 24 (51,579 Views)

Re: How to find deleted contacts?

if you have recent conversations with them, you may still find their usernames in the Recent Tab.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1407
Message 2 of 24 (51,560 Views)

That is an option, but I have it set to where the conversations aren't kept.
BuhRock
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 24 (51,557 Views)

[ Edited ]

unfortunately, apart from that one, i think there is no way to retrieve or find information on deleted contacts (with the exemption of contacts you deleted and blocked).

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1407
Message 4 of 24 (51,558 Views)

I found a solution. I clicked search conversations and type in their name. It came up.
BuhRock
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 24 (51,553 Views)

That does not work if you hid the conversation or if it's too old/ you've redownloaded skype recently.

Katkat11
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 24 (49,733 Views)

Another obvious need is to avoid acidental contact deletion; there is no checkbox to ask for confirmation before deletion?? once you touch the "delete" key unintentionally, a contact is gone and you don't even know which one !!

How to avoid this ?

Thanks,

jormoreto
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 24 (47,065 Views)

jormoreto wrote:

Another obvious need is to avoid acidental contact deletion; there is no checkbox to ask for confirmation before deletion?? once you touch the "delete" key unintentionally, a contact is gone and you don't even know which one !!

How to avoid this ?

Thanks,

Yes, such confirmation dialog exists, but you have at some time removed it. In order to get it back you need to edit your configuration file.

Quit Skype. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%\skype, press Enter or OK button. Find now the folder with the name of your Skype account. Open this folder. You will find there the config.xml file. You may see only config but with XML Document in the Type column. Open the config.xml file in any text editor (e.g. Notepad). Find there a section starting with <General>. Within the section find the line <ConfirmRemoveBuddy>1</ConfirmRemoveBuddy>. Change the value 1 to 0. This will restore the Confirmation option. Save the file and restart Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7319
Message 8 of 24 (47,060 Views)

You mean Skype users are supposed to twist the software configuration from outside the program rather than from it's own "options" interface? Good, I have plenty of skills and time to work 'for Skype' instead of the other way around...
jormoreto
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 24 (47,056 Views)

jormoreto wrote:
You mean Skype users are supposed to twist the software configuration from outside the program rather than from it's own "options" interface? Good, I have plenty of skills and time to work 'for Skype' instead of the other way around...

I’m not saying that this is how it should be, but only how it works in the current Skype versions.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7319
Message 10 of 24 (47,053 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling