How to disable Skype updates

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to disable Skype updates

In Skype's excellently designed user interface [hint: sarcasm] I am unable to find out how to disable automatic updates. Is this possible?

Even though "you shouldn't disable updates" is not the answer to the question I am asking I'll provide the reason I want to do this up front. Basically because every time I go to make an important call it seems like Skype wants to update. Since I'm in the habit of clicking Allow on the UAC messages (especially when they are blue due to a digitally signed installer), I invariably find myself looking at a Skype window saying that its updating and it may take minutes, when I'm supposed to be starting a conference call for 20 people. I'm getting rather annoyed by it; I just want to turn these updates off and install them only when I manually initiate it.

Abdul
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 51 (28,983 Views)

Re: How to disable Skype updates

Abdul wrote:

In Skype's excellently designed user interface [hint: sarcasm] I am unable to find out how to disable automatic updates. Is this possible?

sorry, not possible

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 297
Message 2 of 51 (28,970 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

I don't like the answer but that's not your fault of course. So I guess I'm going to have to train myself to start Skype up well in advance of when I need it, or to not religiously accept installation prompts for Skype (a harder habit to break than you might think). Perhaps if I can figure out a way to trick myself into thinking "Adobe" when Skype updates appear I'll be able to reject them without thinking. :smileyhappy:

Cheers.

Abdul
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 51 (28,964 Views)

I need to disable these annoying automatic updates on skype so that I am in control of them, anyone help please. If someone says its not possible then I will move to another provider, that is not acceptable!

kevking9
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 51 (28,849 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please see section 5.3 of the Skype Terms of Use, it is also presented as a link on every install of the client program and is located and can be found as the "Legal" link at the bottom right of every page located on Skype.com.

Please copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

skype.com/intl/en-us/legal/terms/tou/#use_software

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 5 of 51 (28,847 Views)

You know, being in business-- sure something might be legal and clearly defined in your legal text, but sometimes, while being legal, its just bad business. You have a large amount of users who find your automatic updates annoying. I can personally attest to everyone at my company who uses your service (we all pay for subscriptions) is annoyed by the automatic updates, the nag screens, and with the current layout. You need to give people options. If you don't give people options in your program, they'll MAKE other options. Like going to another company. Want to lose 20+ accounts? Keep spouting that nonsense about "its in the terms of service." Bad business practices are legal. Keep it up guys. If we don't see any movement on this within a month we're switching.
NEDvx
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 6 of 51 (28,504 Views)

NEDvx wrote:
You know, being in business-- sure something might be legal and clearly defined in your legal text, but sometimes, while being legal, its just bad business. You have a large amount of users who find your automatic updates annoying. I can personally attest to everyone at my company who uses your service (we all pay for subscriptions) is annoyed by the automatic updates, the nag screens, and with the current layout. You need to give people options. If you don't give people options in your program, they'll MAKE other options. Like going to another company. Want to lose 20+ accounts? Keep spouting that nonsense about "its in the terms of service." Bad business practices are legal. Keep it up guys. If we don't see any movement on this within a month we're switching.

I do not work for Skype.

Also, please see this: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Unattended-install/m-p/184740#M18609

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 7 of 51 (28,500 Views)

[ Edited ]

NEDvx wrote:
Bad business practices are legal.

no.

some are. but some are not.

remember:

1. The semantics of the referenced terms of use does not entail that you unconditionnally abandon any control of timing and circumstances of updates.

2. The national law of your country determines which formulations and which interpretations of the terms of use are lawful at all, and which ones are null and void.

it may be worth reading some of the many threads dealing with this topic, e.g.

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/I-want-to-turn-off-automatic-updates/td-p/51134

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/STOP-STOP-AUTOMATIC-UPDATES/td-p/52752

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 620
Message 8 of 51 (28,487 Views)

Yeah, it's **bleep**ing ridiculous.  They make a new update every week and the only real changes are throwing all the items from the GUI around, and changing the icons for the smileys, then they disable autoupdating in the new version, so you just have to take it and get used to the new stupid **bleep**. 

You'd think a company as big as this that relies on people paying money to make calls would make autoupdates not a waste of time, but nope.

As for your problem, there are older versions of skype you can find on a site such as Filehippo that still have the autoupdate option in there, though I don't know if that has a different GUI or which version it is. 

Metalsand
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 51 (28,106 Views)

go to Skype,  tools, options, advanced and undo the check boxes that say Notify me, and Automatically download and install it.  Hope this helps:bigsmile:

Edward1000
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 51 (27,940 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling