How to close skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

How to close skype

[ Edited ]

So the personal version lets you close skype by right clicking on the task bar and hitting close skype. The buisness version wont let you close it at all. No matter what you do, it wont let you close it without killing it from the task manager. So I made this .bat file to kill skype. You can create your own with this command line:

taskkill /IM skype.exe /f /t

Edit: I've been corrected, this is probably not a good idea.

Accepted Solution

by g4pilut

Let me add, Sully343, that I think you're offering bad advice.

Closing Skype's process via Task Manager or your batch file, which does the same thing, will in all likelihood eventually result in a corrupt Skype file, stopping Skype from working.

The forum is full of posts where Skype has stopped working for a user because Skype wasn't Quit/shut down properly, something in Skype has become corrupt, and resetting Skype to it's defaults is necessary to resume normal operation.

If you want just one example of what I'm talking about, after using your batch file to exit Skype a few times, look in %appdata%\Skype when Skype isn't running.  See any leftover temp- files?   Those are cleaned up when Skype shuts down normally, but they're not when Skype crashes, which it what you're forcing it to do. 

If you don't have the Quit feature on your task bar, the only right way to close Skype is by right clicking on the Skype icon in the system tray / notification area and clicking Quit.

View solution in original post
Sully343
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 20 (24,153 Views)

Re: How to close skype

The business version has exactly the same Quit options as the “normal” version. Have you tested both versions on the same computer?

0 Kudos
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7419
Message 2 of 20 (23,964 Views)

Let me add, Sully343, that I think you're offering bad advice.

Closing Skype's process via Task Manager or your batch file, which does the same thing, will in all likelihood eventually result in a corrupt Skype file, stopping Skype from working.

The forum is full of posts where Skype has stopped working for a user because Skype wasn't Quit/shut down properly, something in Skype has become corrupt, and resetting Skype to it's defaults is necessary to resume normal operation.

If you want just one example of what I'm talking about, after using your batch file to exit Skype a few times, look in %appdata%\Skype when Skype isn't running.  See any leftover temp- files?   Those are cleaned up when Skype shuts down normally, but they're not when Skype crashes, which it what you're forcing it to do. 

If you don't have the Quit feature on your task bar, the only right way to close Skype is by right clicking on the Skype icon in the system tray / notification area and clicking Quit.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1905
Message 3 of 20 (23,958 Views)

Maybe they should make it like every other windows program, where you click skype>close and it actually closes the program instead of minimizing it. Or how about using the standard icons in the upper right of the program to have a difference between minimize and close.

Sully343
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 20 (23,949 Views)

They should do excactly that, no other application I have in Windows is so persistent and annoying as Skype.

Clicking the 'X' in the top-right corner should just close it altogether, or at least remove it from my taskbar.

I should also be able to drag the top bar anywhere, like any other application in Windows.

Instead, Skype has decided to ignore these simple standards and keep it's presence in our face. Distasteful and behaviour I can only compare to desktop-spam.

Please fix this.

nmattheij
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 5 of 20 (23,580 Views)

LAME.

I had to sign up to the support just to say how ridiculous this is.

If you try to monopolise peoples lives you will ONLY get bad reviews. Fortunate for you there aren't too many worthwhile competitors...

But then why have a "close" option, or a red cross, and then not be able to close the program...?? I shouldn't have to look up how to do this, edit things, run to task managers, or go into the code.

Stop saying this is a bug, you're a multi million dollar corp who has done this on purpose to encourage the regular usage of your service.

I love skype, fantastic, great etc..

But - sort this out...!!

vish123456
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 7
Message 6 of 20 (22,914 Views)

I couldn't agree more. I too, love the program but hate these features. It take THREE clicks to really close it when every other program closes with one. 

1. Sign out   2. Guess that's not good enough.  Now go down to the taskbar and choose Quit Skype 3. Now it assumes for the 3rd time that you can't make up your mind and asks if you really want to close Skype.

Are they kidding???  I am always so annoyed by the time I get it to fully close. If I do find a workable substitute, I will be gone just because of this annoying feature. Also, just because of this annoying feature I would never consider paying for anything they offer until one click completely closes this program.

This could probably be fixed very quickly so they obviously don't care about annoying every one of their users.

ac2012
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 7 of 20 (22,649 Views)

I completely agree. And what's funny is that I usually log off and click on that red cross to close it(I always forget how weird they've made Skype). So, when I'm logged off and right-click and press "Quit" it says "Are you sure you want to quit Skype? You won't be able to send or receive instant messages and calls if you do so". What?! I'm not logged in... I'm using the free version of Skype(because I do not think it's worth the money), but can you receive or send calls if you aren't signed in the other versions? I don't think you can(because obviously you could just be signed in). Why does it say that then?! One of the dumbest things I've heard. I'm disappointed.

Thelemic
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 20 (21,345 Views)

If you in stead of signing off just Quit Skype, then you will not see this message.

0 Kudos
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 7419
Message 9 of 20 (21,341 Views)

I get the same message if I quit skype while signed in. And as I said, I always forget how Skype works(since Skype is the only program that doesn't close itself if you close it).
Thelemic
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 20 (21,337 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling