How to Turn Off Facebook Updates and Facebook Chat

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

How to Turn Off Facebook Updates and Facebook Chat

[ Edited ]

Note:  there are 4 procedures in this tutorial, each will result to different outcomes. 

1.  Turn off Facebook Updates - this will just disable updates in your Skype Home page.  Skype chat will remain active.

2.  Hide Facebook Chat - this will only hide the Facebook chat tab in the Skype main window, and will not disable the Facebook chat function, or the updates in the Skype Home page.

3. Turn Off Facebook Chat and/or Updates - this process will disable the Facebook Chat feature, and/or the Facebook Updates in the Skype Home page, or both (will completely unlink Skype and Facebook).

4.  Install the MSI Version -  The MSI version has Facebook integration and Click to Call features disabled. 

Just choose and follow the procedure depending on your desired results.

1.  Turn Off Facebook Updates

To disable Facebook Update, just look for and click the blue gear icon in the Skype Home window, then select Disconnect From Facebook.  This will turn off Facebook Updates in the Skype Home Window.

the image

2. Hide Facebook Chat tab

Click menu Contacts >> Hide Facebook Friends.  Note that this will only basically hide the Facebook Chat tab, and will not disconnect or disable this option.

the image

3. Turn Off Facebook Chat

a.       Using your preferred web browser, login to your Facebook Account.

b.      Click Account Settings

c.       Then in your Account Settings page, look for and click Applications, which can be found on the upper left hand corner of the page

the image

d.      Look for the Skype icon/entry.  You can just choose either Remove App if you want to completely unlink your Skype account to Facebook (pointed by the blue arrow),   or just Remove Facebook Access Chat, if you want to turn off the Facebook Chat option only and continue seeing Facebook updates (pointed by the green arrow).

the image

4.  Install The MIS Version

Click the link below to download the MSI version of Skype.  On first use, you see will the page below in your Skype Home window.  Just click "No Thanks, I Don't Want To Link", then you will not be seeing any Facebook integration after.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

the image

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1408
Message 1 of 64 (111,986 Views)

Re: How to Turn Off Facebook Updates and Facebook Chat

HAHA because THAT'S intuitive!  Nothing like forced-opt-in options eh Skype?

Gorf
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 2 of 64 (111,983 Views)

[ Edited ]

Primemover wrote:
look for and click the blue gear icon in the Skype Home window,
then select Disconnect From Facebook.

It should work like that, but mostly is doesn't. Once you signed in to Facebook, at every start of Skype the Home window is filled with an advertisement. Not only in English, but in the specific language that you selected. Self created language files don't prevent it. As a consequence,

the expected blue gear button disappears completely.

skype-5.5-facebook-verbunden.jpg

This advertisement prevents you from disconnecting from facebook.

Only way out:

Use Skype 5.3 - Home window - Facebook tab - gear button - Disconnect

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 745
Message 3 of 64 (111,953 Views)

[ Edited ]

I Agree, Why is Skype home page now mostly covered with this facebook thing. I now only have a small section across the top for skype contacts and 80 - 90% for this facebook connection.

i am awaiting aproval of am image which i can add to show you what i mean.

how long does it take on average for an image to be approved?

Neil_Connell
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 64 (111,857 Views)

[ Edited ]

There are 2 versions always released that are current. If you do not want FaceBook, then please install, what is known as the business version. You can install over what you have using this:  http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Once installed, simply click the "No Thanks" link if it is presented about FaceBook.

Note: You can always return to the normal release, and you can install over what you have in both cases.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 5 of 64 (111,847 Views)

Thank you for the prompt reply but i don't use the business version i only use the free home version.

I believe the business version you have to pay for!

Please forgive my ignorance in all this as i am relatively new to all this.

Neil_Connell
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 64 (111,841 Views)

Hello Kicks-mobil, actually that particular page usually comes up in new or newly created accounts, especially those who have 5 contacts or less.  and yes, it is also a mystery on how to immediately by pass that screen (apart from adding friend and wait for updates from them so it will eventually disappear).

Once the usual Skype Homepage appear, the blue gear icon should appear.  

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1408
Message 7 of 64 (111,837 Views)

Neil_Connell wrote:

Thank you for the prompt reply but i don't use the business version i only use the free home version.

I believe the business version you have to pay for!

Please forgive my ignorance in all this as i am relatively new to all this.

The business version is free as well.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 64 (111,838 Views)

I tried to re-install over already installed Skype, I also tried a fresh install after uninstalling Skype, For a brief moment it showed the original screen and then very quickly reverted to the screen with Facebook prominantly displayed again.
Neil_Connell
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 64 (111,830 Views)

[ Edited ]

As stated in my prior post here http://community.skype.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/How-to-Turn-Off-Facebook-Updates-and-Facebook-...:

"Once installed, simply click the "No Thanks" link if it is presented about FaceBook."

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 64 (111,827 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling