How to Recover Lost Contact List

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

How to Recover Lost Contact List

[ Edited ]

Such problems usually occurs after (but not limited to) ; updating Skype from a much earlier version, after reinstalling Skype after a computer crash, or after reinstalling the Skype application after a Skype crash.

Below are some suggestions that may help resolve the problem;

1.      Check and double-check if you are entering or using the correct account username.   There are times that users thought that they lost their contact list, but the reason why they are not seeing their contacts is simply because they have entered the incorrect username (especially in the cases of users who have multiple accounts).

2.      If you have a Backup File of your contacts, just click menu Contacts >> Advanced >> Restore Contacts from File 

3.       Completely Uninstall Skype.  This process completely differs from the usual or standard uninstall process, as this will delete traces of Skype in your computer.  Thus, giving users the possibility to install a fresh copy of the Skype application.  Below is the link on the procedure of how to completely uninstall Skype, including the steps of how to back up Skype related files/documents.

How can I completely uninstall and then reinstall Skype

4.       Contact Customer Service.  Skype also stores the contact list information of their users in their servers.  So you can contact customer service as they can certainly assist you to recover or retrieve your contact list.  Below is the list to customer service.

https://support.skype.com/support_selection

5.  Once you retrieve your contact list, it is advisable to create a Backup File of your contact list.  Just click menu Contacts >> Advanced >> Backup Contacts to File.  Then save the backup file of your contact list in a safe and secured location or folder, so you in easily retrieve your contact list in case the same or similar problem happen in the future.  Also create new versions of your backup file regularly, especially everytime to add a significant number of new contacts.

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1255
Message 1 of 40 (73,228 Views)

Re: How to Recover Lost Contact List

As well as losing my contacts list I also do not have my Skype credit amount showing on the main page.  When I log into my account it shows that I am in credit but on the Skype main page it shows my credit as zero.  I tried un-installing and re-installing, but no change.  I have emailed Skype Support, but to date no response.

tisrex
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 40 (72,574 Views)

Hi, 

After installing the latest version of skype all of my contacts have disappeared. At first my password wasn't recognised for some reason so I used the password recover tool only to find that all my contacts are still gone. 

I use skype on the iphone4 and on numerous computers. All of my contacts are no longer available AND I am unable to add contacts using the 'import contacts' function it just crashes. Please help! Can you direct me as to how to fix this problem? 

Kind regards

danthelawyer
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 40 (72,455 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks PrimeMover. I have quite a few people asking for help with this issue.

Question on #2 : when you restore contact from file, does this mean they have to accept you as a contact again, is it like sending a friends request to a non contact?

Question on #4: I understood that Skype does not have servers that all data is p2p (person to person); Can you clarify, does Skype have servers? And can you confirm where both our Skype contacts and history are stored (your computer vs skype "servers")?
Whats odd is that when I contacted Skype Live Chat support, they told me that we could not import our backed up contacts ourselves and that only they could do that. I always wondered about that menu option in Contacts>Advanced>restore contact from file.

Thanks...

Julie Wolf

Get my Skype Tips or Find New Skype Friends and Skype Chat Rooms at my Skype Directory or join my membership site all about Skype http://SeeYouOnSkype.com
JulieWolf
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 4 of 40 (72,178 Views)

Hello. I have done the above and it does not work. My account was blocked 2 weeks ago for some reason and I had it resored, but all my contacts were gone. How can I contact customer service to get it manually restored? I can't find the button anywhere. Thanks

eharrisny
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 40 (71,643 Views)

eharrisny wrote:

Hello. I have done the above and it does not work. My account was blocked 2 weeks ago for some reason and I had it resored, but all my contacts were gone. How can I contact customer service to get it manually restored? I can't find the button anywhere. Thanks

You can File a support request or send an email directly to Skype and explain your problem in detail and they will be able to sort it.

How can I contact Skype Customer Service?

What is live chat support?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6877
Message 6 of 40 (70,639 Views)

eharrisny wrote:

If you really indeed read and tried "all" the suggestions above, you should have seen suggestion number 4.

"4.       Contact Customer Service.  Skype also stores the contact list information of their users in their servers.  So you can contact customer service as they can certainly assist you to recover or retrieve your contact list.  Below is the link to customer service."

https://support.skype.com/support_selection

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 259
Message 7 of 40 (69,645 Views)

I have the same problem today with my contact , but I also don't have a back up file so how can I recover my contact list ?

You prefer to choice some option but no option actually can do

1. I have enter a correct account

2. I don't have a backup file for contact list :sad:

3. If I completed uninstall and reinstall new version , are you sure that my contact can recover ?

4. I go to support center but actually don't know who I can contact to get my list

pls help

hahtt_fsoft
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 40 (67,187 Views)

how to recover my dleted contact list
claudette_vibar
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 40 (63,637 Views)

I have a similar problem.  I can no longer see any of my skype contacts, only phone numbers and even some of them seem to be missing. Also, I don't appear in the contacts list of others anymore, although I can see myself as online on my skype page. I am running 5.8 on a Mac. The instructions for uninstalling and then reinstalling skype on this thread are for PC and I couldn't find any for Mac.  I logged into my skype account on a PC running an  old version of skype yesterday. It looked a bit strange, but I thought it was because it was on a PC. But I don't know if that has anything to do with my problems now.  Thanks for your help.

rosenti
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 40 (61,034 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling