How do I save video messages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I save video messages

[ Edited ]

I got a couple video messages from a friend. I signed up for a premium account so I could save them, but have been given no instructions or link to save or download them.

THardee
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 12
Message 1 of 32 (60,836 Views)

Re: How do I save video messages

I purchased Premium for the EXACT same reason, since one ad for Premuim advertized that. I've logged out of Skype, logged in again thinking I needed an account refresh. I can't save on my Windows PC nor in the iPhone app.

Anyone?

DarthFester
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 32 (59,430 Views)

I want to do the same thing- but am thinking that you can only save videos recieved once you have already upgraded?- or is that a stupid comment

emma-fleet4
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 32 (59,124 Views)

Not a silly question at all, I suspected the same but realized I still cannot save my new messages since upgrading.
Posted from Apple iPad
DarthFester
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 32 (59,121 Views)

This is somewhat of a pain, but here's what I did (why should anything be easy, eh?):

1. Install Fiddler web debugger.

2. Access the video message you want.

3. Stop Fiddler tracing (i.e., you want to stop capturing traffic).

4. Inspect your Fiddler trace. You should see something like the following:

https://vm.skype.com/api/vod/flvs-play?assetId=<somevalue>&profile=flvs-normal

5. Copy that url.  The assetId contains a string with a Guid value as well as some other junk in it.  If you notice, profile=flvs-normal indicates that the asset is a flash embedded video.

6. Paste the url into your browser and save the file.  Rename the file to have a flv extension.

7. Download a flv player.  Load the saved file in the player, and voila, it plays!

Yeah - saving locally to a file would be nice.  All this just to save a video message is a royal pain.

jsheld
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 5 of 32 (58,652 Views)

Thanks!
Fortunately I'm a computer engineer and can actually understand and use your answer. Lol. Harsh.
Posted from Apple iPhone
DarthFester
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 32 (58,644 Views)

My Fiddler trace only gives me a couple of smetrics.skype.com:<value> and a few more short links the likes of vm.skype.com:<value> but nothing like the one you showed.

gluino
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 32 (58,528 Views)

Can you post the vm.skype.com links from Fiddler.  You may need to press play on the video message to get that value.

jsheld
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 8 of 32 (58,497 Views)

Hey - I've done some experimenting with fiddler, and it looks like when you access a Video Message with fiddler on (on a PC at least, running Win7), it just simply creates an HTTP tunnel to stream the video to a player within your browser. No direct link to any video file...
mtang2
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 32 (58,112 Views)

[ Edited ]

I discovered that by default Skype uses HTTPS for the video message URL, which does not show the necessary information in Fiddler. If you change the URL on the video message to use HTTP (without the S), then the video will still play and Fiddler will show the required information.

Instead of using this method, you should also be able to use any Flash video downloader to save the file from the webpage. I used the FVD Video Downloader extension for Chrome successfully.

I'm having a next problem that the downloaded videos cutoff after a few seconds. It seems the video files download completely, but do not play well. Any ideas or is anyone seeing the same behavior? Which FLV player are you using?

Addition: I was able to work around the FLV player issue by converting the FLV file to MP4 using Any Video Converter and playing the MP4 file successfully.

ChrisL87
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 32 (54,908 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling