How do I quit Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How do I quit Skype

Quitting Skype has always been a hassle. Now since the latest update, we have this stupid Skype logo always on the cam. But also I fail to find where I can actually Quit Skype. Can someone tell me where? Only option so far seems to be the task manager. I can't believe how arrogant this seems to come across to me. Or how much this of a fail is that it isn't consistent with the OS you are using. In this case Win7 64bit. When there is a good alternative for windows, I will actually switch because of things like this. Otherwise perfectly happy with it....
thelendog
Novel Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I had the same problem in windows just right click the skype icon in the lower right of the taskbar then click quit. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post
reneknigge
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 39 (26,984 Views)

Re: How do I quit Skype

[ Edited ]

Skype certainly will not remove the option to Quit as this is a very basic and important option of the Skype software.  Please visit the link below to see the available Quit option in the recent Skype versions.

Ways to Quit Skype

:happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1672
Message 2 of 39 (26,834 Views)

been trying to figure out how to quit skype since the new version....used to be able to just right click the icon on the task bar in win 7 64bit and quit --- now this is gone.... try to quit from the menu -- not an option there either... only choices are from the task manager or from the system tray.  this is not very user friendly.... put all the normal options that were used all the time back where they belong not hidden in obscure places....

walters
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 39 (26,819 Views)

I had the same problem in windows just right click the skype icon in the lower right of the taskbar then click quit. Hope this helps.

thelendog
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 39 (26,806 Views)

I think that the option to quit via system tray has been the primary method to quit Skype eversince.  The other ways to quit skype were just additional ways introduced recently.  For example, Windows XP users have never had the chance to use the jumplist option as that method was never available in their OS (I think that skype was already around even before windows 7 was introduced).

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES

Primemover
Power User
Message 5 of 39 (26,802 Views)

Thanks for the effort. Most options in there are not applicable anymore. It just won't show there. Using the tray icon is the easiest option, sadly enough. And really the only one, besides the run command and using the task manager. Sad sad sad.
reneknigge
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 39 (26,765 Views)

i agree, i have never spent so much time and effort trying to gat a program to work, i actually had it working for 2 days, i was calling and texting my friend in ireland and then it just stopped, i cant get to my skype home page, the automatically added skype icons in my lower margin do nothing when i click on them, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times, i hate skype, i am looking for another way to communicate with my friend, this program sucks
sharkboy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 39 (26,740 Views)

sharkboy wrote:
i agree, i have never spent so much time and effort trying to gat a program to work, i actually had it working for 2 days, i was calling and texting my friend in ireland and then it just stopped, i cant get to my skype home page, the automatically added skype icons in my lower margin do nothing when i click on them, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the program 3 times, i hate skype, i am looking for another way to communicate with my friend, this program sucks

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 8 of 39 (26,726 Views)

[ Edited ]

sharkboy wrote:

Hi sharkboy!  It appears your concern is completely different from that of the thead starter (regarding Quiting Skype).  Unfortunately, thread hijacking is not allowed in this site as such practice may bring confusion and disorganization in the community forum. 

please visit the link below on instructions on how to create a new thread.  most likely your concern can be easily seen and get accurate responses when placed in the correct section, and will not distract the flow of disscussion in this thread.  thanks! :happy:

Help Us Help You (How to Start a New Thread)

Primemover
Power User
Message 9 of 39 (26,719 Views)

I have just reinstalled Skype following a pc rebuild and the version I now have has no 'Sign Out' or 'Quit Skype' option in the taskbar. It only has the 'Skype', 'Pin prog to taskbar' and 'Close Window'.

I uninstalled then reinstalled in case there was a prob' with my download but it's still the same. I can only quit using the Task Manager.

Can anyone help please?

FollowMeChaps
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 39 (26,632 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling