How do I get rid of the advertisement on top of my...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I get rid of the advertisement on top of my skype chats?

http://i.imgur.com/qlKRozD.png 

There's an advertisement on top of my skype chats, how do I get rid of it?

sandyxDD
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 1 of 79 (47,310 Views)

Re: How do I get rid of the advertisement on top of my skype chats?

What you are seeing are the new ads in chat window, tested now in some selected countries and only for free users with Skype 6.10 version.

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Blank-tab-above-the-nickname-of-the-chatwindow/...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6048
Message 2 of 79 (47,299 Views)

IDK but it is annoying. It cuts infront of my video call screen even when I go to fullscreen.

mustangsusy31
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 79 (47,227 Views)

mustangsusy31 wrote:

IDK but it is annoying. It cuts infront of my video call screen even when I go to fullscreen.

What exactly is your currently installed Skype version? In Skype go to Help -> About Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 79 (47,216 Views)

mustangsusy31 wrote:

I totally agree with that and it shouldn't happen. Do you have a screenshot of that chat ad showing while you are on fullscreen?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12554
Message 5 of 79 (47,208 Views)

Same issue. I have Skype 6.11.0.102 and just dicover mega annoying ads on my screen. How do I get rid of this unwanted spaming action? (Unwanted thigns are spam, right?)

Thanks!

NouvelleLune
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 79 (46,690 Views)

NouvelleLune wrote:

Same issue. I have Skype 6.11.0.102 and just dicover mega annoying ads on my screen. How do I get rid of this unwanted spaming action? (Unwanted thigns are spam, right?)

Thanks!

Right now, if you want to avoid seeing these ads in your chat window, then you can revert the previous 6.9.0.106 version.

Uninstall the currently installed version and install the previous 6.9.0.106 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.9.0.106.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 79 (46,683 Views)

I'm very angry about this problem because I do half my chatting on a netbook with a 1024x600 screen. With the ad there, no matter how much I resize the window, I have to collapse the list of users in a chat -- or the panel showing mood and local time, in a one-on-one conversation -- in order to see more than seven lines. I wouldn't care half as much if the ad was in the sidebar, because while it would still be intrusive, at least it wouldn't be hogging valuable, LIMITED space.

For the record, I'm in Canada.

f_off_skype.png

f_off_skype_2_censored.png

CameoAppearance
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 8 of 79 (44,963 Views)

The list of countries "blessed" with this new user experience feature seems to be now significantly extended. Yesterday no "in chat" ads were visible for me in Denmark. Since today, these ads are shown in one of my free accounts.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 9 of 79 (44,750 Views)

Yeah, when I went to bed last night I did not have this problem. Waking up today it was the first thing I noticed and it takes up a LOT of space in the conversations. I get that companies that offer their services for free need to do things like advertising for other companies, since that will help them cover costs for giving us free software... but the placement of this is just plain bad. I'd rather it cover my contact and recent conversation lists than my conversations.

I'm in America. Another friend of mine in a different state also discovered the same problems with his skype today.

LynnLimelight
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 10 of 79 (44,153 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling