How do I get rid of the Skype "Click to Call" cr*p...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: How do I get rid of the Skype "Click to Call" cr*pware in Firefox.

Without my permission, Skype "click to call" has installed itself in Firefox and not provided a remove button. This is a privacy violation and breaks good software policy. What other surprises can Skype users expect to be forced upon them an increasingingly suspect company?

Fortunately, the foreced extension is not compatible with Firefox 12 because the Skype cannot keep up to date with Firefox's software cycle! More reasons to not trust Skype.

Why does the Skype app connect to Facebook even when teh user has no Facebook account set up. Why should Facebook know when you are online? Another privacy violation. Is Skype connecting to Google when you login. I see Google in connections list. Why Skype, what is going on?

To remove from Firefox, here is a hack:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/manually-remove-skype-extension-from-firefox/

ForestFriend
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 11 of 13 (734 Views)

Firefox is now up to version 20.0 and the same concerns apply.

I had installed Skype intending it as a stand-alone app to talk to friends.  And I was dismayed to see every web page with a phone number in it cluttered by a "Click-to-Call" link, even those for which I am Webmaster.  They looked so bad, I even went back to their source HTML code to see what had changed--nothing!  Next I looked among my Firefox Plugins but there was nothing about Skype there.  Finally, I found this Forum and successfully uninstalled Click to Call from Control Panel / Programs / Click to Call..

RichPasco
Novel Tourist
Message 12 of 13 (346 Views)

Man I spent nearly 2 hours trying how to figure how to remove this annoying plugin from firefox. Finally got it out so I hope it helps others (i.e. let me know :happy: ! )

Ok so here is the solution:

1. First try the obvious method: Normal uninstall from Control Panel>Programs and Features (this didn't work for me by the way!)

2. Then if nothing else works delete this folder:

C:\Program Files)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\extensions\{82AF8DCA-6DE9-405D-BD5E-43525BDAD38A}

OR

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\browser\extensions\{82AF8DCA-6DE9-405D-BD5E-43525BDAD38A}

v173k
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 13 (207 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling