How come Skype takes so much of memory?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: How come Skype takes so much of memory?

I agree...I'm on a custom built PC, only 2 years old, runnin Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with a dual core processor, 3GB of RAM, and the newer versions of Skype at idle still take up almost half of my memory. It consumes a considerable amount more when I'm on a Skype call...I'm in a long distance relationship with someone in the UK, so I need Skype to be reliable...version 5 certainly is not at this point, and hasn't been for a very long time. I've been using version 4 ever since I found out about the memory leak (a few months or so ago) and I've had no issues since. So until they fix this problem, I'm keepin version 4. I've posted about this myself, and recommended others do the same...this whole thing is ridiculous to me.
tealtiger
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 11 of 26 (3,533 Views)

I'm thinking of doing that myself, going back to V4.

I would strongly suggest to you though that 3gb is nowhere near enough ram to comfortably run Windoze on.  If you can afford it or fit it, 8 or 16gb will be much smoother.  I custom built a PC a year ago with 8gb in 2 cards; about 9 months later the same 2 were at less then half the price so I bought them.  16 is real nice, though the system I'm typing on now has 8 and it's fine.

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 12 of 26 (3,524 Views)

From a programmers view, I've learnt that memory is some of the hardest thing to keep cleaned. For everything that gets created, you need to close it again. (Dunno the language, I'm programming in C#, where it happens almost by it self(constructors and deconstructors)

For a direct solution to this one (some time have gone) I've formated my PC, since it needed it, and right now the newest skype 5.8.0 is using 82.184K memory, and I've just finished a 3-5 hour conversation with 3 friends.

A possible solution. Clean the computer, and start from scratch. (I don't like the idea, and think people really should not consider this as a solution)

Grinebidderen
Novel Adventurer
Message 13 of 26 (3,512 Views)

This PC is pretty clean, super fast (I built it myself a year ago).  Another I had just reinstalled Windoze.  3rd is only about a month old.  I constantly clean and decrapify my PC's.  But Skype is one of the biggest memory hogs I've ever encountered.

When I first started programming, it was in the punch card era.  After that, I had 64K bytes ram to work with (managed by paging in and out sections of code as needed).  Programmers who were trained in those days tend to write very clean, efficient code.  Today's programmers haven't a clue how computers work, no idea what happens when a compiler takes your code and translates it to machine language, no understanding of things like buffer overflow, etc.  If they did, MS wouldn't have huge numbers of bugs in their OS's and office suites.  And other software providers would also have much better written software.  

Whoever codes for Skype probably has no clue what we even mean by wasted memory, reclaiming memory when no longer needed.  He or she probably has a PC with lots of RAM, unlike so many users of Skype and like products.

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Message 14 of 26 (3,510 Views)

@Grinebidderen I've reformatted my PC since the memory leak issue occurred, and still have the problem. Whatever's going on, it's with Skype and not my PC...if it was just me, then others wouldn't be posting about the same issue.

@pbug56 I'm not sure if this PC can handle that much memory, I'd have to consult with my friend who built it for me. He knows more about this stuff than I do, which is why he told me what to buy and he put it together once I had all the parts. LOL The most recent upgrade on my memory was from 2GB to 3GB, and I have an extra stick left to put in it, but someone told me I needed to do something to the PC first in order for it to handle that much memory? Something about Windows 7...not sure what they were talking about, though. LOL
tealtiger
Routine Adventurer
Message 15 of 26 (3,474 Views)

Let's assume you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7.  You have issues with not enough memory and you'd like to add more.  3gb - if your computer takes it, great, no issue.  More then that, and it depends.  If your version of Windows is '64 bit', you can add more memory up to what the computer manufacturer says is the maximum.  If '32 bit', you might be able to add the memory, but Windows won't see anythng bast the 3gb.

Go into 'Control Panel' and click on SYSTEM.  If you see on the screen something like '64 bit Operating System', AND the computer is built to handle it, you can have more then 3gb.  If it says '32 bit Operating System', you are max'ed out.

BTW, a way to find out what the computer itself can handle; go to a site like crucial.com.  Crucial sells computer memory, and they offer a scan tool to see what your computer has, what it can take, and then make suggestions.  I'm sure other memory vendors have the same sort of tool.  Run that it and see what it suggests.

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Message 16 of 26 (3,471 Views)

I already know it's 32 bit without lookin. LOL I've never had anything above a 32 bit system before, but from the sounds of it I should look into that next time I'm in need of a complete upgrade.

Thanks for the tip on the website. I'm gonna check that out now and bookmark it. :happy:
tealtiger
Routine Adventurer
Message 17 of 26 (3,452 Views)

I have a laptop that maxes out at 2gb, and I always thought it could only run 32 bit, but found out recently it could go to 64 bit.  But with the memory limit it wouldn't be worth it.

64 bit can in a decent modern PC take plenty or ram.  That gets rid of a lot of pain!

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Message 18 of 26 (3,450 Views)

I checked out that website you mentioned, and talked to a live tech there, and they say I can upgrade this from 32 to 64.  The max memory I can put in this is 16GB, the guy said even at just 8GB I'll see a big improvement...the only problem for me now is gettin the cash to get more memory.  LOL

I'm gonna consult with a friend of mine, just to make sure there's nothin else I'll need to upgrade before I do all this.  It's gonna take me a bit of time to save the cash for more memory sticks anyway.  Thanks for that site, though...helped me a lot! :happy:

tealtiger
Routine Adventurer
Message 19 of 26 (3,417 Views)

Unless you are doing something memory intensive, 8gb ram will eliminate most memory issues.

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Message 20 of 26 (3,413 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling