Re: How come Skype takes so much of memory?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

How come Skype takes so much of memory?

Not that it's a real problem on my computer, but I'm wondering of, when each time I am looking at my Windows Task Manager (WTM), Skype.exe is majorly on first place in memory usage, unless I'm having a game or a bigger program open. Even now, WTM says skype uses 276.092K Memory, my second program is Spotify at 130.936K Memory.

I have tried to restart skype, and as soon as it opens up again, it rockets to pass Spotify to 146.472K Memory, which in my head, is still insanely high, for a program being idle in the background on desktop, just waiting for people to write/call

Tamim
Super Aviator

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Grinebidderen wrote:
Dosn't really seem to do the job for me. Skype is still using more than 220.000K memory in WTM. And when I check the folder mentioned in the link, The .xml file is still there.

Try This.

Here is a Mr. FixIT:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Run This First. See if it resolves the issue. If not,

Temporary disable the anti-virus & Do all Windows Updates, including Software and Hardware, not just the Critical Updates. In most cases, this will resloves the issue.

Also Suggest, Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta-full/

If not resolve this issue, then

Please do a Skype reset:

1. Ensure that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on.

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

3. Click Start >> Run Type: %appdata% Rename folder "Skype" to "Old_Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

If the issue still persists,

Here is another MR. FixIT

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Click the Run Now button.

Check if the issue persists.

View solution in original post
Grinebidderen
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 27 (27,496 Views)

Try this : https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10981/How-do-I-delete-my-shared-xml-file

Your computer may have turned into a supernode.

Supernode is a node where the network relies on to connect to other , this is how peer to peer networks work.
NoxxeR
The Documentator
Kudos: 12
Message 2 of 27 (27,386 Views)

switch to old version 3.8... 3.8 is much better. Looks better etc..
Pulytr
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 27 (27,344 Views)

Dosn't really seem to do the job for me. Skype is still using more than 220.000K memory in WTM. And when I check the folder mentioned in the link, The .xml file is still there.
Grinebidderen
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 27 (27,332 Views)

Grinebidderen wrote:

Try This.

Here is a Mr. FixIT:

Temporary disable the anti-virus & Do all Windows Updates, including Software and Hardware, not just the Critical Updates. In most cases, this will resloves the issue.

Also Suggest, Download and Reinstall the new Skype 5.7 beta version. See if it helps.

Please do a Skype reset:

Click Start and then Run Type "control folders" and click OK. In the View tab, ensure that Show hidden files and folders is enabled

2. Exit Skype : From the system tray >> right click on the skype icon and click "Quit Skype"

4. Re-run Skype

How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6308
Message 5 of 27 (27,324 Views)

Tamim wrote:

Grinebidderen wrote:

Try This.

Here is a Mr. FixIT:

Please do a Skype reset:

4. Re-run Skype

Well, so far it worked really well, just by upgrading to beta. Skype already using 80.000K instead of the old 220.000K. What a reduction.

Thx Tamim

Grinebidderen
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 27 (27,312 Views)

You are very welcome and thanks for the feedback.
Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6308
Message 7 of 27 (27,309 Views)

I am running the latest version of Skype.  I've reset the Skype directory.  I've run fixits.  Skype is varying now between 113 and 120 or so meg of ram while idling.  The biggest memory user on this computer.  On another PC it is idling at 164meg of ram.  That's beyond absurd for software that's just waiting for something to happen.  What's wrong with it?  Is there a huge memory eating bug or is there a fix for this?  I've read through the comments above and have not seen any clear answer though some people seem to have been helped.  Unfortunately, I have 2 old PC's maxxed out at 2gb ram (and no job) and I really need Skype to work with a reasonable amount of ram.

Thanks!

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 8 of 27 (26,833 Views)

I've had the same issue for months now, and last time I checked it still wasn't fixed. I don't know what the issue is, and I'd love it if they fixed it, but in the meantime I've downgraded to Skype 4. Here's where I got it from if you're interested in doing the same. http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php
tealtiger
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 9 of 27 (26,754 Views)

Right now the current version of Skype is using 158 meg ram doing nothing on this PC.  Mind boggling how much ram an idle app can take.  And when you complain to Skype tech support they have you reinstall a few times, they point you to the latest beta, they have you uninstall, clean up and reinstall, and when done nothing has changed.  They need to get at least one capable programmer - not a kid or a half trained cheapie, but someone who actually knows something about computers, to track down this issue.

I say this as someone who learned computer programming on punched cards, when memory could not and would not be wasted.  

pbug56
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 10 of 27 (26,749 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling