How can I put a Skype icon on my desktop?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How can I put a Skype icon on my desktop?

How can I put an icon onto the desktop so I can just click and get onto Skype.  Everytime I get on Skype it asks me to download Skype.  It is already downloaded.  I need help.

Please use plain text.
momLorraineR
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 1 of 9 (5,087 Views)

Re: How can I put a Skype icon on my desktop?

assuming your using Win 7 or older "i never tried Win 8 yet" you just need to go to your start menue, all programs and find the skype folder and then find the skype icon inside that folder, now from here you have 2 options, just right click on the icon and you will see a "send to" option, hover your mouse over it and it will open options, one will be Desktop (create shortcut) and it will do it for you, or you can just simply hold down your right mouse button over the skype icon and drag it onto your desktop, once you release the button options will pop up, one being create desktop short cut

that should do it

If your using Win 8 then someone with that system will have to respond

Please use plain text.
NarutoN20
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 9 (5,075 Views)

In order to create a shortcut of Skype on Windows 8. right click your mouse on the desktop, put your mouse on New, then put your mouse on Shortcute and double click. When the window comes up put C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "skype:" in the box.

Please use plain text.
pappap14
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 9 (2,856 Views)

pappap14 wrote:

In order to create a shortcut of Skype on Windows 8. right click your mouse on the desktop, put your mouse on New, then put your mouse on Shortcute and double click. When the window comes up put C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "skype:" in the box.

I tried that and a message said that no such file can be found. Is that exactally what I am supposed to type?

Please use plain text.
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (2,442 Views)

33771144 wrote:

pappap14 wrote:

I tried that and a message said that no such file can be found. Is that exactally what I am supposed to type?

Is your Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Please use plain text.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6403
Message 5 of 9 (2,438 Views)

ruwim wrote:

33771144 wrote:

pappap14 wrote:

Is your Windows 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

windows 64-bit

Please use plain text.
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (2,427 Views)

One of the links in the attached SkypeStartLinks.zip file should work.  All links use the default Skype install/system path.  You would place one of these on your desktop:

Modern Skype.lnk -  Launching 32/64/App Skype by command line

Skype (32).lnk - Launching Skype on a 32-bit OS.

Skype (64).lnk - Launching Skype on a 64-bit OS.

Feel free to rename the links to whatever name you like.

Please use plain text.
techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1516
Message 7 of 9 (2,420 Views)

techfreak wrote:

One of the links in the attached SkypeStartLinks.zip file should work.  All links use the default Skype install/system path.  You would place one of these on your desktop:

Modern Skype.lnk -  Launching 32/64/App Skype by command line

Skype (32).lnk - Launching Skype on a 32-bit OS.

Skype (64).lnk - Launching Skype on a 64-bit OS.

Feel free to rename the links to whatever name you like.

techfreak, Thanks, it worked!

Please use plain text.
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 9 (2,413 Views)

i refreshed my laptop and lost my icon on desktop how do i get it back

Please use plain text.
gh1234
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 9 (1,763 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling