Headset Mic not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Headset Mic not working

Hey everyone, I have a problem :[

So my headsets mic all of a sudden stopped working about two days ago. it was working perfectly fine up until then. The headphones of the headset still work perfectly, and just so you guys know, this is a headset that uses the jacks on the front or back of my desktop. the mic doesn't work when plugged into either the front or back jack for it, but as I said, the headphones work fine.

At first i thought the headset might just be broken, so i used it on my laptop, and it works perfectly, mic and all. Oh, and just to be clear, both my desktop and laptop are running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I've messed around with as many settings for recording in the control panel as i can, but to no avail... :[

does anyone happen to know what might be wrong?

And also, I have already searched the forums to see if anyone has had the EXACT same problem...but I can't seem to find anyone who has.

thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out :bigsmile:

megamn606
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 10 (29,622 Views)

Re: Headset Mic not working

megamn606 wrote:

Hey everyone, I have a problem :[

So my headsets mic all of a sudden stopped working about two days ago. it was working perfectly fine up until then. The headphones of the headset still work perfectly, and just so you guys know, this is a headset that uses the jacks on the front or back of my desktop. the mic doesn't work when plugged into either the front or back jack for it, but as I said, the headphones work fine.

At first i thought the headset might just be broken, so i used it on my laptop, and it works perfectly, mic and all. Oh, and just to be clear, both my desktop and laptop are running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. I've messed around with as many settings for recording in the control panel as i can, but to no avail... :[

does anyone happen to know what might be wrong?

And also, I have already searched the forums to see if anyone has had the EXACT same problem...but I can't seem to find anyone who has.

thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out :bigsmile:

Please see these:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioRecording/

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

http://community.skype.com/t5/Garage/TheUberOverLord-Call-Issues-Checks/td-p/156704

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 644
Message 2 of 10 (29,506 Views)

I had this problem before. I have the Realtek HD Audio Manager, so I'll assume you have it too since mine is Windows 7  64-bit as well.

So you right click the the sound icon at the bottom right and click 'Sound Manager'.

In the Manager, on the top right click 'Device advanced settings'.

Tick the option 'separate all input jacks as independent input devices'.

Now try using your mic!

Hope i might be of some assistance,

Your_Saviour

Your_Saviour
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 10 (29,445 Views)

I cannot find the Sound Manager by right clicking the audio icon in windoes 7, I only get Volume mixer and Volume control options as well as recording devices and playback devices. What you're describing sounds more like xp. I've attached a jpg to show you what I mean.

grumpiness1
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (26,721 Views)

You need to open your sound card manager. You can access this manager from Windows Control Panel, but you may also have the icon in the hidden icons button (the up arrow on the taskbar).

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5742
Message 5 of 10 (26,715 Views)

What do I do from the screen I've attached?

grumpiness1
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (26,669 Views)

i have the same problem, i treid doing what you suggested, but ive had no luck :sad:(((((((

Kushy
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (24,326 Views)

I had the same problem tonight.  Headset worked fine on test but then, after installing the Microsoft Webcam, the headset no longer works.  I can't find any reason for it and no information as to what might be going on.  I'd be interested in getting any help on this matter, too.  Thanks.

dogwogmom
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (16,714 Views)

i have the same problem!At 1st I thought it was just the headset so I went back to the store where I bought it.changed it t another brand of headset.it still didnt work.the weird part about it is when im using the headset for other apps and just merely listening to sounds from my laptop it works perfectly.but in skype whatever headset i use none of it works.

can anyone help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kershymez
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (888 Views)

To use a new headset, microphone or speakers, including USB headsets, USB phones or multiple sound cards, you need to configure which device Skype should use.

1. In Skype, in the menu bar click Call > Audio Settings.

2. Make sure that the device you want to use as your microphone is selected in theMicrophone dropdown list. If it’s not, click the down arrow and select another device.
  3. Try speaking into the microphone and see if the volume indicator lights up. If it does, the microphone is working fine.

4. Make sure that the device you want to use as your speakers is selected in the Speakersdrop-down list. If it’s not, click the down arrow and select another device.
  5. Press the  button. If you can hear sound being played, your speakers are working correctly.

For more information on how to change your audio settings, check the Skype sound set up guide.

Learn more about how to use a headset, microphone and speakers with Skype.

kershymez
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (886 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling