Fatal error during installation.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Fatal error during installation.

After installing skype when i try to open it, i get a box saying "Please wait while windows configures skype 5.3" its goes away and comes back to same message then comes up with another window. Headline is "Problem with shortcut" and within the page it says Fatal error during installation". I have tried uninstalling skype and reinstalling it, but still same message.

terryc
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 1 of 40 (22,189 Views)

Re: Fatal error during installation.

Try this:

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %programfiles%\skype and press Enter. You should see now Explorer windows with a Phone folder. Open this folder. Double click on Skype.exe. What happens then?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7068
Message 2 of 40 (21,850 Views)

OK that worked, had to do several additional steps though, had to change owner of each seperate folder then on the skype.exe i had to change the owner and allow all permissions, if anyone is reading this im sorry if it isnt to step by step but its pretty easy to figure out if your the least bit techy

terryc
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 3 of 40 (21,844 Views)

Have you been logged in with administrator rights when installing Skype? Can you now start Skype using the shortcut created by installer?
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 40 (21,841 Views)

FATAL ERROR:
Failed to get proc. address for set DllDirectoryW (kernel32.dll)
Now what do I do? How do I go back to the version that worked?
saarlane
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 10
Message 5 of 40 (21,798 Views)

Before trying to isolate an issue, it's always best that one is running the latest Skype release. Which may in itself resolve the issue. You mention 5.3 as the version in question.

A new version has just been released August 02, 2011:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

This new version is 5.5.0.113 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 6 of 40 (21,796 Views)

saarlane wrote:
FATAL ERROR:
Failed to get proc. address for set DllDirectoryW (kernel32.dll)
Now what do I do? How do I go back to the version that worked?

You have Windows 2000 and therefore you will not be able to use the latest version of Skype. I’m not sure which Skype version is still compatible with Windows 2000, but you can e.g. try 4.2

community.skype.com/t5/Welcome-Getting-Started/How-to-Download-an-Earlier-Version-of-Skype/m-p/61866#M5803

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 40 (21,793 Views)

I've the same issue with 5.5 on XPSp3 on both my machines. The Skype.exe icon appears briefly in the Phone folder but then it disappears when it gets the fatal error. Event log app entry: "C:\Program Files\Skype2\Phone\Skype.exe was detected using user defined detection settings, deleted after clean failed." any ideas???

janeh
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 8 of 40 (21,640 Views)

janeh wrote:

I've the same issue with 5.5 on XPSp3 on both my machines. The Skype.exe icon appears briefly in the Phone folder but then it disappears when it gets the fatal error. Event log app entry: "C:\Program Files\Skype2\Phone\Skype.exe was detected using user defined detection settings, deleted after clean failed." any ideas???

Please check your malware software, it seems like something is removing Skype.

Also, please check for errors just in case as well, that might lead you to see what program is doing this:

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 588
Message 9 of 40 (21,630 Views)

skype.exe does not exist.  Now what?  Windows Vista.  I'm an administrator.

byron1son
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 10 of 40 (21,234 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling