Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessor...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation on XP SP3

Hello Skype Support Community,

recently Skype updated. During the update, there was some sort of failure, and now I get the "Fatal Error: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)" message whenever I try to run Skype and whenever the computer boots up. However, I have taken the steps to make sure that I am on XP SP3 (specifically the Media Center edition, but that's not too important right now), and I installed Internet Explorer 8 just as it said, but it is still broken. I have not heard any "success" stories about this problem getting fixed unless I download an onld version of the software, and all the other threads here seem to be about people using SP2. What can I do to fix this problem?

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Most likely your SP3 installation was not successful. The GetLogicalProcessorInformation was first introduced in Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and was not present on older Windows XP installations.

It seems also that this function is only required with the latest Skype 6.7 version, so you can try to revert to the previous 6.6.0.106 version. You can install the 6.6.0.106 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.6.0.106.msi

View solution in original post
GandWuser
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 184
Message 1 of 93 (761,356 Views)

Re: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation on XP SP3

Most likely your SP3 installation was not successful. The GetLogicalProcessorInformation was first introduced in Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and was not present on older Windows XP installations.

It seems also that this function is only required with the latest Skype 6.7 version, so you can try to revert to the previous 6.6.0.106 version. You can install the 6.6.0.106 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.6.0.106.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6964
Message 2 of 93 (760,933 Views)

[ Edited ]

GandWuser,

I purchased a used business laptop last week.  It arrived with XP (SP2) freshly installed.  It received a mshtml.dll crash/error until I upgraded to IE8.  To concur with what ruwim stated, XP SP2 and earlier systems do not support that OS function call.  It was introduced in XP SP3 and later systems.   Skype 6.6 and earlier worked fine on this laptop, but the actual Skype 6.7 executable couldn't complete execution.  I downloaded and installed SP3 and rebooted it.  It immediately resolved the issue.  So that's my success story.  My other test laptop that already has every Window's update including SP3 does not generate this error as well.

XP SP3 has been a minimum system requirement for Skype for some time now.   People are just now receiving this fatal error because not having XP SP3 (or above) installed, inhibits the latest versions of Skype from properly executing.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10328

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 1455
Message 3 of 93 (760,884 Views)

I ended up installing SP3, now it works. Funny that it said I already had it when I didn't...

Thanks!

GandWuser
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 184
Message 4 of 93 (760,357 Views)

Thanks for that solution, i have Windows XP home edition SP2 and Skype pop up told me to upgrade which totally was the wrong thing to do as my computer is not up to date but this solution of providing an earlier versio of skype - instant success. Back to enjoying your skype service thanks!

TrudiMei
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 5 of 93 (755,901 Views)

hey  every time i open skype it show failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation(KERNEL32.dll) help me open it its important........my system is windows xp professional service pack2

the20rock7
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 25
Message 6 of 93 (755,876 Views)

the20rock7 wrote:

hey  every time i open skype it show failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation(KERNEL32.dll) help me open it its important........my system is windows xp professional service pack2

The only what you need to do is to update your Windows XP to Service Pack 3 (SP3).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

The GetLogicalProcessorInformation function is not available on older Windows XP installations.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 7 of 93 (755,867 Views)

I have done my work...

wow!!

thanx team slype:wink:

awais007
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 8 of 93 (741,814 Views)

Re: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation on XP SP2

GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)

selevac
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 17
Message 9 of 93 (738,610 Views)

Re: Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation on XP SP2

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 93 (738,606 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling