Error: Skype has stopped working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Error: Skype has stopped working

It started in the middle of a video call. Skype crashes, and when I try to make a video call, an error message pops stating that Skype has stopped working. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I've tried uninstalling the latest version (6.3) and installing an older version (6.2). I've also tried starting my computer up in safe mode, writing down all the non-microsoft services, restarting in normal mode, then disabling those services. Nothing seems to work. Please help

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Have you tested if your LifeCam VX-3000 webcam is working? What do you see when in Skype you go to Tools -> Options -> Video settings?

You may also try to connect your webcam to another USB port on your computer.

View solution in original post
bgame
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 21 (7,941 Views)

Re: Error: Skype has stopped working

Open Windows Event Viewer and look for any recent error messages with timestamp corresponding to Skype crash.

You can also try to reset all Skype settings.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata% and then press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7062
Message 2 of 21 (7,923 Views)

Skype.exe
   5113a7cf
   ntdll.dll
   4ec3e3d5
   c0000005
   000395de
   01ce24f41c9b7c66

That's what comes up.

bgame
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 21 (7,914 Views)

This error message indicates a problem with some of the devices used by Skype (webcam, microphone, e.t.c.).

Please, run the DirectX diagnostics tool.

Go to Windows Start and in the Run box type dxdiag.exe and press the OK button. This will start the DirectX diagnostics program. Run this diagnostics and save the results to a file. You may attach this file to your post. Perhaps some useful information on the system and potential problems will be to find in this file.

Be aware that you will have to zip this file before attaching it here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 21 (7,908 Views)

Ok here it is

bgame
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 21 (7,903 Views)

Have you tested if your LifeCam VX-3000 webcam is working? What do you see when in Skype you go to Tools -> Options -> Video settings?

You may also try to connect your webcam to another USB port on your computer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 21 (7,884 Views)

That's hilarious. Changing the usb ports did the trick. Thank you for the help

bgame
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 21 (7,872 Views)

Great :(y):.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 21 (7,591 Views)

I've tried the above solution, I've looked for other solutions through googlem, tried them and none of them seems to work. whatever version I try to install and run, the same error "Skype has stopped working..." always shows, it doesnt even have a chance to log on, its as soon as I open skype that error will show and always fails to launch. Help please :sad:
Markie
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 21 (6,937 Views)

I have this same problem does anyone know what to do

jditro
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 21 (6,304 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling