Does your music/alert sounds play through speakers...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Does your music/alert sounds play through speakers when you do a skype call with earphones on?

[ Edited ]

--Skip below to SOLUTION if you know what problem i'm talking about---

Hi! So recently I had to reinstall my windows 7 cuz i got a fun virus that crashed my computer. After reinstalling the latest version of Skype, i came across this really ennoying problem. It came up like this:

I'm sitting here just watching youtube videos while using headphones for audio. Then somebody sends me a message on skype, and for the 2-3 seconds that the skype message notice sound plays, the youtube audio sound plays through the computer's speaker phones instead of my headphones! only the message notice plays in my headphones. This didn't bother me until somebody called me. I realized that while skype calling, the only audio that comes through my audio headphones is the skype call. My music from windows media, my youtube video, and all windows alert sounds all play through my computer's speakers, which is extremely ennoying because 1-music sounds better through good headphones, and 2- everybody around me is forced to listen to my music while i'm calling on skype.

So after digging around in this support forum, i found a lot of interesting stuff, but not a solution to this problem. as it turns out, a lot of people share my problem, but don't know how to fix it. I found something that works for my general case. If you're using something other than your computer speakers, when you skype call, the call goes into your external audio, (eg. headphones, earphones), while everything else goes through your computer's internal speakers. If this is your problem, then I might be able to help!

Solution

There are just a few simple steps to do this:

1) Plug in whatever external audio you're using. (headphones, earphones)

2) Open Skype

3) Go to "Tools" on your top toolbar, (it's right of Skype, Contacts, Conversation, etc)

4) Go to "Options" (bottom of the dropdown)

5) Go to "Audio Settings" (below General Settings on the left column)

6) For the dropdown bar next to "Speakers", there should be 2 options. "Speakers/Headphones" or "Independent (R.T.C)" (this second option varies based on computer/OS)

7) Select the "Speakers/Headphones" option for the "Speakers" dropdown bar.

8. Right under that is a box that says "Automatically adjust speaker settings" Make sure it is unchecked.

9) For the "Ringing" dropdown bar, select the option for "Use Selected Speaker"

10) Save your settings! You're done :happy:

Good luck!

KevinLinXu
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 1 of 24 (42,117 Views)

Re: Does your music/alert sounds play through speakers when you do a skype call with earphones on?

Thank you, it works with a few modifications to your original post.

In the advance tab, I downgrade the speakers and move the headset into the first position. 

Thank you again for the solution of that noisy problem.

Khimera
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 24 (41,936 Views)

Re: Does your music/alert sounds play through speakers when you do a skype call with earphones on?

Wow, thank you! This has been bothering me for ages.
bellberry
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 24 (41,168 Views)

unfortunately this didn't fix it for me. Also tried the Advanced Tab suggestion.

While listening to music via Spotify, every time I'm getting a notification (sound) music is coming through the notebook speakers and annoys my co-workers.

roka
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 24 (40,525 Views)

Not working for me either.  Tried all the suggestions, butnotifications play through my laptop speaker anytime my headset is plugged in.

maggiojim
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 5 of 24 (40,030 Views)

But if i have the opposite problem: for my online lessons via skype I need to play audio files and the person I have conversation with shoul hear this audio tape. Now it does not work.

What should I do then?  

umka_ur
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 24 (39,626 Views)

Oh my god thank you, I've been looking for a solution to this for seriously months and I've grown to just dealing with it, turning skype notifications off and dealing with friends and family thinking I'm ignoring them. Thank you!
Andrew81593
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 24 (38,740 Views)

I have the exact same problem and it is REALLY annoying AND embarrassing!
Anyone found a solution yet?
vinsantos
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 24 (35,065 Views)

I tried that and have come to the conclusion that it's related to notification sounds than the actually program itself :

1 - Access Tools>Options>Notifications>Sounds

2 - you can chose "Mute all" or chose to mute the knocking sound which is related to the actual : IM Received sound

That's all..The other option is to change the whole sound-set to something of your own accord or a nullsound file and it will produce the same result

Ratsuky
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 24 (32,460 Views)

Worked great! THANK YOU!!

Tbuss85
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 24 (29,728 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling