Disk I/O Error on Windows 7 x64

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Disk I/O Error on Windows 7 x64

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am recieving the Disk I/O error as of last week.

I have looked and tried all explanations on here: quitting and restarting skype, deleting the bits-and-bobs you're told to delete in the appdata folders, and uninstalling/reinstalling and updating to the new version of Skype.... NOTHING works!!

I haven't made any recent changes to my computer (to my knowledge).

I am running Windows 7 x64

Please help.

ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Have you also deleted the DbTemp folder?

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %temp%\skype and then press Enter or click the OK button. Delete the DbTemp folder.

If this will not help then try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

View solution in original post
nadsers
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 10
Message 1 of 19 (14,230 Views)

Re: Disk I/O Error

Have you also deleted the DbTemp folder?

Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %temp%\skype and then press Enter or click the OK button. Delete the DbTemp folder.

If this will not help then try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6929
Message 2 of 19 (14,224 Views)

Thanks soooooo much! I've tried so many solutions posted here but only yours worked for me! Thanks once again!

jiaxin
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 19 (13,809 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for your help ruwin :bigsmile: I also kept getting the "Disk I/O error". It only started happening tonight. I had read other things to do - tick "show hidden files, folders, and drives" which I already had ticked. I uninstalled and reinstalled skype. This also did not work. Luckily I found your comment, and it worked! I tried deleting the DbTemp folder, but when I logged into skype it still came up with the error. So I uninstalled my version again, and installed the older version like you said. So thanks heaps, I now have it working again on my laptop. I guess it was just the update, as I had the 6.9 something version on it. I knew it wasn't a problem with my actual "Skype", as it still worked on my iphone. So I figured it had to be a problem with the laptop version. You just saved me a visit to the computer shop :(y): Thanks again! :wink:

peewee461
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 19 (13,687 Views)

Re: Disk I/O Error on Windows 7 x64

Thanks very much - I wan't having any luck with the support chat/email...

gm13
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 19 (13,050 Views)

Many thanks peace has returned now that skype is working correctly :happy:

zquella
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 19 (11,372 Views)

Is there an actual fix yet or are we still foced to use outdated version of Skype? This error has been around forever, surely you've fixed it by now...

biggy.ba
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 19 (10,932 Views)

:manvery-happy: Thank you so much for that solution - version 6.13 was driving me nuts - screwed up a perfectly good installation - now happy as Larry with version 6.1.0.129 on Windows 7 64 bit

poolekiteman
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 19 (10,927 Views)

a buddy of mine also runs Win 7 64 bit, and claims version 6.13 runs ok on his PC - so I wonder if it is a CPU-specific problem? posting details of my PC in case that helps.

poolekiteman
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 19 (10,923 Views)

Go to My Computer Properties-Advanced System Settings-Environment variables and paste                 %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Temp    this for the both Temp and TMP folder location. :happy:

nika.nasaraia
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 19 (7,311 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling