Disabling Skype Home autostart

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: Disabling Skype Home autostart

The reason why skype home is popping up and can't be disabled is because Skype was bought out by Microsoft. That should explain everything.

mez
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 591 of 1,061 (811 Views)

[ Edited ]

Does anybody knows some interesting alternatives for Skype? 

'www' .focus.com/briefs/10-best-skype-alternatives

ComBOTS - will connect your PC or landline phone with others around the world for free,

Gizmo Project - open source world wide, sucked and dismantled by Google Voice,

iChat - has many of the same features as Skype,

Jajah - entirely free PC-to-PC VoIP calls and a limited free calls to/from landline phones,

WengoPhone - an open-source voice and video over IP, ooVoo - up to six videochaters,

video mess., Mac & PC and & mobile devs, 3G wireless,

SightSpeed - PC-to-PC audio & video, cheap PC – landline/cellphone.

'www.' cmswire.com/cms/enterprise-20/5-great-skype-alternatives-011315.php 

goober Messenger - multi-messenger free calls and video calls gobber to gobber,

VoxOx - Skype & Google Voice & TweetDeck with file sharing,

Google Voice - free PC-to-PC voice and video & PC-to-phone free in U.S. cheap elswere.

'gigaom.com' /collaboration/9-great-alternatives-to-skype-for-voip-and-video-chat/

VoIP Phone service: 

Vbuzzer - VoIP and IM, open protocols, free PC-to-PC, cheeper tha Skype PC-to-phone,

Grasshopper - more business oriented Skype with many features for a fraction price.

Video Chat: 

Tinychat - 12 text audio video chaters, simple, no login, flash, the basic service is free;

FaceTime - Apple’s video chat for iPhones Macs and iOS.

'www.' gadgetcage.com/5-satisfactory-alternatives-for-skype/3773 

VOIP: Sight Speed, VOIP Buster, Gtalk, VBuzzer, iChat.

'thenextweb.com' /apps/2010/12/22/6-great-skype-alternatives

'www' .voip-sol.com/10-skype-alternatives

Amicima - AmicaiPhone ... 

'www' .zdnet.com/blog/networking/beyond-skype-voip-alternatives/1061?pg=2&tag=content;siu-container

VoIP Clients: Cisco TelePresence or Lotus Sametime - not free and for big company,

Ekiga - the best known of the Linux VoIP with Windows client,

Facetime, Google Chat/Google Talk/Google Voice, OoVooo.

We should test some alternatives e.g. Jajah...

Anybody knows any of this by oun expirience? 

0 Kudos
qwerty
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 592 of 1,061 (796 Views)

qwerty,

The one I'm currently looking at is jitsi. It's a multi-protocol (and multi-platform) IM client with support for SIP, so with a VOIP account from an operator of your choice it should do what Skype does now. And a bit more. The only thing you lose is the ability to communicate with Skype users, but then... The way things are going, there won't be that many left. :happy:
TM9000
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 593 of 1,061 (778 Views)

It was all fine till Microsoft took over.

Now not sure whether the OS or the apps are now more bloated? 

Skype is now a piece of **bleep**e and I shall be deskyping!

tired_of_skype
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 594 of 1,061 (775 Views)

Re >>It was all fine till Microsoft took over.<<

No it wasn't - this so-called "upgrade" was in place before they bought Skype. Blame the right people, please!
Clearcomms
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 595 of 1,061 (736 Views)

[ Edited ]

TM9000 thank you for 'Jitsi'. 

One more alternative to chose :happy:

It looks realy intersting.

Worth to try and to hold fingers for develepmnet. 

0 Kudos
qwerty
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 596 of 1,061 (727 Views)

Primemover wrote:

There are already a number of workarounds and suggestions presented and offered to temporarily deal with the auto-starting Skype Home window.  For this, I also would like to share my own idea. 

For me, the ideal workaround should be something that is not too technical, will not interact internally with Skype in any way, and would not involve changing or modifying any Skype related files, information, or documents.  This will ensure that Skype will run smoothly and will remain at its maximum performance.

Basically, below is what the ideal workaround for me should be and should do.

1.      It should be a small executable file, maybe less than 1MB in size.  The shortcut itself will be placed on the desktop to replace the Skype shortcut.

2.       The executable file will be programmed to launch the Skype software, wait for the Skype Home window, and then close it once it appears.  Just like in the screenshot below;

3. The executable file will close or terminate itself after performing the above procedures.

The said proposed workaround will only automate the task of manually closing the Skype Home window.  I think that idea is not against the terms of use and policies of Skype.

So by any chance, if any users who are reading this thread have a pro version of the Winautomation program or Autoit, you can easily create a short script based on the suggestion above, then generate an executable file and distribute it to interested users.

:happy:

just-eagle wrote:

+1 for a disable option, I've been annoyed by this window for ages.

I saw some people had made some tools that help with this problem, but I wanted to make my own just for fun and to be 100% safe.

It's a very simple AutoHotkey script, you can run it as a .ahk if you care to install AutoHotkey (free), otherwise you can use the executable. If you put a link to either of them in your Windows startup menu it will run when you login, wait for Skype, close Skype Home and then close itself.

You can download it from: mediafireDOTcom/?5ldeucmw1l464bd

Or copy the source code:

Loop
{
    IfWinExist, Skype Home
    {
        WinClose, Skype Home
        break
    }
}

Hope you like it.

just-eagle
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 597 of 1,061 (713 Views)

just-eagle wrote:

Primemover wrote:

There are already a number of workarounds and suggestions presented and offered to temporarily deal with the auto-starting Skype Home window.  For this, I also would like to share my own idea. 

For me, the ideal workaround should be something that is not too technical, will not interact internally with Skype in any way, and would not involve changing or modifying any Skype related files, information, or documents.  This will ensure that Skype will run smoothly and will remain at its maximum performance.

Basically, below is what the ideal workaround for me should be and should do.

1.      It should be a small executable file, maybe less than 1MB in size.  The shortcut itself will be placed on the desktop to replace the Skype shortcut.

2.       The executable file will be programmed to launch the Skype software, wait for the Skype Home window, and then close it once it appears.  Just like in the screenshot below;

3. The executable file will close or terminate itself after performing the above procedures.

The said proposed workaround will only automate the task of manually closing the Skype Home window.  I think that idea is not against the terms of use and policies of Skype.

So by any chance, if any users who are reading this thread have a pro version of the Winautomation program or Autoit, you can easily create a short script based on the suggestion above, then generate an executable file and distribute it to interested users.

:happy:

just-eagle wrote:

+1 for a disable option, I've been annoyed by this window for ages.

I saw some people had made some tools that help with this problem, but I wanted to make my own just for fun and to be 100% safe.

It's a very simple AutoHotkey script, you can run it as a .ahk if you care to install AutoHotkey (free), otherwise you can use the executable. If you put a link to either of them in your Windows startup menu it will run when you login, wait for Skype, close Skype Home and then close itself.

You can download it from: mediafireDOTcom/?5ldeucmw1l464bd

Or copy the source code:

Loop
{
    IfWinExist, Skype Home
    {
        WinClose, Skype Home
        break
    }
}

Hope you like it.

it's a good workaround.  thanks for the details.  yet, it might be even better if that can be converted into a standalone small executable file (I mean no need to install another software), which will also close itself after launching Skype.  :happy:

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

0 Kudos
Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1419
Message 598 of 1,061 (645 Views)

jpwilk wrote:

feedback" tab - "you don't seem to have an active internet connection". Guess they don't want your feedback

reminder: the feedback tab appears to have one the bugs of 5.5.
But the address behind the feedback tab is permanently available:

ecustomeropinions.com/survey/survey.php?sid=603736412

paste the red line into the address bar of your browser, hit ENTER

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
0 Kudos
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 747
Message 599 of 1,061 (585 Views)

Thanks you for that. So far I have had no complaints about Skype until it did an auto-upgrade yesterday. I'll have to search the board for what other bugs are in this new version.

0 Kudos
jpwilk
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 600 of 1,061 (609 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling