Delayed notification sounds/response

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Delayed notification sounds/response

When I receive a message through skype, it pops up in the window, blinks the orange new message symbol, and flashes the window as soon as I receive the message; But roughly 4 seconds later it makes the sound.  I know this is a minor thing, but it bugs the pants off of me!

And the worse part is when I receive calls from another skype contact or from a phone.  The popup box letting me know I have a notification pops up, but it WILL NOT let me click answer until 4 seconds later when the sound starts playing.  This is awful if I'm in the kitchen and try to run in and answer my call, as it gives me half of the normal ring time to respond!

I'm currently using the most recent version of Skype, and have my computer fully updated.  It does not do this on any of my Linux machines of my Mac.

Solutions to this bother of a bug? 

(Oh, and it might be a good idea to permanently add "Skype" to the spell check dictionary.)

Roach360
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (958 Views)

Re: Delayed notification sounds/response

Roach360 wrote:

When I receive a message through skype, it pops up in the window, blinks the orange new message symbol, and flashes the window as soon as I receive the message; But roughly 4 seconds later it makes the sound.  I know this is a minor thing, but it bugs the pants off of me!

And the worse part is when I receive calls from another skype contact or from a phone.  The popup box letting me know I have a notification pops up, but it WILL NOT let me click answer until 4 seconds later when the sound starts playing.  This is awful if I'm in the kitchen and try to run in and answer my call, as it gives me half of the normal ring time to respond!

I'm currently using the most recent version of Skype, and have my computer fully updated.  It does not do this on any of my Linux machines of my Mac.

Solutions to this bother of a bug? 

(Oh, and it might be a good idea to permanently add "Skype" to the spell check dictionary.)

A new version has just been released October 13th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

This new version is 5.6.0.110 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 2 of 9 (754 Views)

The problem is persisting.

Roach360
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (745 Views)

Roach360 wrote:

The problem is persisting.

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 4 of 9 (740 Views)

[ Edited ]

Has there been any solution for this? I'm having the same problem. There have been no errors in the event viewer, disabling the antivirus didn't help. I updated Skype, and even completely uninstalled and reinstalled it with the most recent version ( 5.8.0.158 ), with nothing working to solve the problem.

ShindouShuichi
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (634 Views)

I am using Windows 7 and I have the EXACT same problem, delay in notification and when someone calls me I can't click the answer button for a few seconds. Its extremely annoying, will someone please get to the bottom of this.

moizsherwani
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 9 (597 Views)

[ Edited ]

This problem is now 6 months old, and has gone through numerous versions. And there has been no solution whatsoever for it. I'm gonna be contacting Skype directly about this.

Edit: I contacted via live support, and got connected to Mohammed Z, who almost immediately elevated me to Tech Support Tier II after I simply told him the problem, my system specifications, and what I have already tried to rectify this problem. I'll update with everything they have me do. Hopefully others problems will be resolved with earlier steps if this takes me time, or hopefully I can get this resolved and post what the resolution is/was to the problem.

Edit 2: <_< I seem to have figured out MY causes, but can't be entirely sure yet. I had bluetooth headsets connected to my computer. They weren't on, but they were enabled, and disabling them both seems to have fixed my problems. However, waiting on contact from tech support to see if they know why this problem would exist, and to see if my sounds screw up again.

ShindouShuichi
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (586 Views)

Bluetooth disabled,  delay cured for me

fraserbrodie
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (538 Views)

Re: Delayed notification sounds/response ** SOLVED **

Hi i had the same issue for ages and it was grindign my gears had a look and solved what worked for me

My Rig with Relevent info*

Asus Xonar D2X Sound card *Drivers 7.12.8.1794* latest to date (GX turned off)

Headset 5.1 3.5mm jack

no Blutooth

Win 7 x64 Ultimate updated

Skype *5.10.0.116* latest to date

now in short n' sweet terms setup your skype in Tools>Options>Audio Settings.

heres what i did

made sure the (Microphone) and (Speakers) were pointed to the correct device. By default (Ringing) was set to ring on all devices, so i pointed it to my Sound Card.

and now when i click the little green button on (Play This Sound) in Tools>Options>Sounds it plays immediately! rather then 5 seconds later!

i dont have any requirements with skype ringing on any other device other then my main, so its no issue for me dedicating the rining to one device, so if you do require it put up with the delay i guess or googles your friend xD

i hope this helps

Frost9090
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 9 (424 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling