Contact Not Showing as Online

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Not Showing as Online

I'm totally new at Skype so this might have been posted before but I can't seem to find it on the forums.

I'm trying to call from my laptop which is running Windows XP. (Sounds old, but it's still a great laptop and runs quick.) I'm in South Korea and am trying to make a call to an LG G2X that is in the US. I have great internet and the mobile phone I'm calling has an unlimited data plan for minutes and web. I have the 5.5 version of Skype and the other person has just installed Skype about 2 days ago with the latest version on Android.

My problem is that they are showing up as offline in my contacts when I'm signed onto my laptop and I am showing up as offline to them when they are signed in on their mobile phone. What is the problem here? It's really frustrating that I can't even make a simple Skype call when we are both online but show each other as offline through our screens. Can anyone please let me? Thanks!

atkd08
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 22 (46,886 Views)

Re: Contact Not Showing as Online

atkd08 wrote:

I'm totally new at Skype so this might have been posted before but I can't seem to find it on the forums.

I'm trying to call from my laptop which is running Windows XP. (Sounds old, but it's still a great laptop and runs quick.) I'm in South Korea and am trying to make a call to an LG G2X that is in the US. I have great internet and the mobile phone I'm calling has an unlimited data plan for minutes and web. I have the 5.5 version of Skype and the other person has just installed Skype about 2 days ago with the latest version on Android.

My problem is that they are showing up as offline in my contacts when I'm signed onto my laptop and I am showing up as offline to them when they are signed in on their mobile phone. What is the problem here? It's really frustrating that I can't even make a simple Skype call when we are both online but show each other as offline through our screens. Can anyone please let me? Thanks!

This is NOT a fix or solution.

Please right click on the Skype Icon in your system tray and change your status to "Offline" for 5 seconds and then back to "Online".

This forces a status update of all your contacts in your conact list as well as a update of your status without the need to logoff/logon.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 2 of 22 (46,717 Views)

I have this problem also. A number of my friends are online on skype however they don't see me as online and I don't see them as online yet we both are. restarting skype or changing the online status has no effect and sending a message just sits there with the grey circle (sugesting the user is offline). something funny is going on!

If anyone has a solution that would be great.

taz187
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 3 of 22 (46,566 Views)

taz187 wrote:

I have this problem also. A number of my friends are online on skype however they don't see me as online and I don't see them as online yet we both are. restarting skype or changing the online status has no effect and sending a message just sits there with the grey circle (sugesting the user is offline). something funny is going on!

If anyone has a solution that would be great.

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:

NOTE: If This is a 64 bit system, please look in the program files (x86) folder

%programfiles%

Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 4 of 22 (46,559 Views)

I have had the same problem and they are shoing me as off line when we're on the phone. I have removed and reinstalled the program, changed from online to off and back again and its still not working. Not worth having if its not going to work.

havoc1687
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 22 (46,215 Views)

I have had this same problem, there are rumors on social networking sites this bug is intentional to make you spend money. If your contact isn't appearing online, now you only have the choice to 'call their phone' so even if you call just to check they are online using skype you are spending skype dollars. I'd really like to hear skype respond to these accusations because the belief is gaining momentum. I will always call another way now to check whether people who I am expecting are online. Thinking of switching back to good ol msn messenger call. No matter how any reinstallations i do this bug remains... intentional? some certainly believe so.

_0
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 22 (45,444 Views)

For all people. Please note that rumors of that Skype will charge people for chatting is not correct, also that all your contacts are offline so you have to buy credit to call them is also not correct. Do not believe everything on social networks because it is not ture not only for Skype but for other products as well. As long as you do not get an official statement from an official website then it is not correct.

Skype chatting is free. If you cannot see your contacts online then there must be a problem on your computer, first try following the steps to pinpoint the problem and solve it.

Try deleting the shared.xml file because it solves the issue (after checking that your status is online not offline) : https://support.skype.com/faq/FA10981

If this did not help then try checking your firewall and proxy as described here : https://support.skype.com/faq/FA1070/

Hope the problem will be resolved soon :happy:

NoxxeR
The Documentator
Kudos: 7
Message 7 of 22 (45,439 Views)

I am also experiencing this issue with a friend, and so is she is with me.  I've attempted the swtich from Offline to Online trick, which didn't work.  I've even uninstalled, then reinstalled Skype, which also didn't work.  Mind you I am on Windows 7 Home Premium.  Does anyone have a solution for this?

DatBoiLoneWolf
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 22 (41,431 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had this problem all day yesterday.  First thought it was a problem with my GE Skype phone 31591.  But, I signed out of that and then launched Skype on my two computers, using two different accounts.  Each account showed the other one offline, even though they were most definitely online.  I spent this morning logging out, logging in, alternating accounts on machines - and finally, after about 3 attempts, both accounts suddenly started showing the other one ONline.  I didn't do anything different than I normally do and I'm not sure why it suddenly started working...for now.

Using WinXP on one machine, Win7 Pro on the other, and I have the most recent update on the GE phone.  I have a SkypeIn number, as well.  Have been using Skype for maybe 3 years as my only phone, so I'm not a novice user.

pleinairman
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 22 (41,050 Views)

I'm using ipad2 in uk and my contact is on a PC in New Zealand. When we're both online we show as offline and are unable to connect. Any advice pls

Posted from Apple iPad
Jessiedolphin22
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 22 (37,005 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling