01-10-2011 00:57 - edited 06-10-2011 05:19
I just encounterd an installation related error, Error code 1603, when I tried to update my Skype software to a newer version. Though they may be already a lot of threads about this, I just want to share how I was able to fix this issue.
This procedure is only suggested if you already tried all the suggested processes available in this forum page. Also back up all skype related information and files that you feel are important to you as this process will erase almost all or all of them.
1. Download and install Revo Uninstaller Pro (Trial version available)
2. Open Revo Uninstaller Pro, look for and double-click/select the Skype icon. A confirmation window will appear asking if you wish to proceed with the uninstallation.
3. Once you confirm the window below will appear. Just wait for the processes to complete:
4. After completion, click the Scan button and wait for the results. Then the window below will appear.
5. Click Select All and Delete. A second similar window may appear. Just the same, clickSelect All then the Delete button again.
6. Restart your computer then install Skype version of your choice.
Alternatively, you can also try the Skype Complete Uninstall procedure, as this process also aims to delete all traces of Skype in your computer. link to procedure pasted below;
you can also try the 'alternative' method mentioned on the last part of the initial thread.
Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the uninstall pro and there was no skype Icon. I followed through the complete delete instructions ( for about the tenth time) AND
I still get 1603.
My get is that some other application has got a Skype plugin that I can't find. I have now been skypeless for 6 months trying to find a solution. or somewhere there is a record of a Skype installer msi hidden somewhere.
Using Win7 Pro
Primemover, thank you so much! I have spent hours and hours trying to resolve this (and tried without success every other method put forward) and finally was able to delete / reinstall and get going again. I am in a state of shock at having Skype again as I gave up on it 6 months ago and thought I'd give it just one last go...