Re: Chipmunk voice quality

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Chipmunk voice quality

When I answer my brother's video call, my voice is unintelligible to him and sounds like a chipmunk's.  Whe I call my bother, everything is fine.  This happens all the time. 

I have a very fast cable connection, but my brother has a very slow DSL.  We are both in California.

opus731
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]

What type device are each of you using?  Windows/Mac/Linux/Mobile?

What version of Skype?

edit:  If your brother calls you without video, and you answer without video, does the same voice quality happen?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 8 (490 Views)

We both use Windows (mine is Win7, his is Win95, I think) and we have the latest Skype.  The funny part is that the problem depends on who initiates the call.  We have not tried to do it without video.

When he calls me, we get around the problem by hanging up, and then I call him back.

I have a very fast cable connection (~30mbs), but my brother has very slow DSL (~600kbs)

opus731
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (485 Views)

Windows 95?  Really?

The reason I asked is because there were some issues with chipmunk sounding voice in the Linux version but I haven't seen anyone report it in a Windows version.

When you can, try a call with audio only.  That may help pin down where the problem lies.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 4 of 8 (470 Views)

good

slaveja63
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 8 (359 Views)

I sound like a chipmunk when he and I use video but if we just call, theen it works fine. Any thoughts? I have windows 7 and he's on mobile...It happens when I test and live. My audio and mic are updated driver wise...I don't know what to try, Have installed and reinstalled to no avail...

beltsmom77
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 8 (111 Views)

I also have a chipmunk problem.

I'm using Dell E6410, Windows 7 Pro, Skype 6.14.0.104.

Only on outgoing calls, only on Skype. I've re-installed Skype software, have tried internal microphone, headset, and Jawbone speaker/mic combo. No difference.

Recordings of outgoing calls play back with normal voice! (I uninstalled voice recording software to be sure - no difference)

I tried calling out without video - no difference. I will try calling out to someone without video on to see if that makes a difference)

I also tried using Microsoft's Skype repair tool. No problems detected.

I made a call just before this happened to someone on an iPhone; is there possibly any connection?

Thanks for any assistance. I'm past crazy.

calamus
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (102 Views)

@calamus, Can you please provide logs as described in this link https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12321/how-do-i-create-log-files under Skype for Windows Desktop and attach it to your post?

Thank you

kerojarun
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 174
Message 8 of 8 (93 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling