Chat messages won't send

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Chat messages won't send

Same problem here.  I do have the latest version of skype.  I don't know if all of my contacts do as well, but most of them do too.  It is not a temporary issue.  One week agao, my messages stopped being sent, only to my skype contacts.  Chatting to my Facebook friends yields no issues whatsoever.  I have tried Skype's "Complete Uninstall," available on the web page, but still have the same issue.  Tried switching myself to  offline, as well.  I have tried quitting and restarting Skype, as well as my computer itself.  Nothing has worked.

I am running the latest version of Skype (just downloaded again today) on my Windows XP Dell Latitude D530.  I have had Skype for over a month with no issues until last week.  I enjoy using Skype, and would like to do continue doing so.  I hope that the techs and programmers can learn how to fix problems soon.  Thanks!

kbar0611
Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 21 of 56 (16,877 Views)

What a stupid program, it feels I'm wasting my money. I have a similar problem but in the opposite way: I recently installed this thing on Windows 7 64-bits and never ever update the chat history, I can't receive massages. On my android tablet works fine though.
MalDeOjo
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 22 of 56 (16,825 Views)

Found a way to fix it in my case.
My skype stopped sending messages for 3 weeks, it turned out that I had a message that had failed sending before, and skype wouldn't send any more recent messages until that one had sent.
Go into tools>options>privacy and clear your history. That sorted it for me and for a few of my mates that had the same problem.

Good luck. :happy:
Just-Nicky-D
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 23 of 56 (16,811 Views)

So Skype, HAVE YOU FIXED YOUR FAILING PROGRAM YET??!?!?!!?!!?!?!

No? THEN GET ON IT!!! IM TIRED OF HAVING TO LOG OFF AND LOG IN JUST TO SEND 1 FREAKING MESSAGE!

requiem4488
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 24 of 56 (16,761 Views)

Hey Skype employees. FIX YOUR PROGRAM!!! I am still waiting to send a message from 3 weeks ago!!!

requiem4488
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 7
Message 25 of 56 (16,703 Views)

I am having the same problem. Tried to download a voice mail message left for me and got the downloading circle thing for 3 hours. Finally had to shut down my computer. Now when I tried to get the message again it says

"the file can not be opened as the transfer has been cancelled"

So if you ever cancel a transfer, no matter how long the transfer takes, or even accidentally, you will never get the message.

Thanks Skype. Thanks for nothing.

TommyMac
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 20
Message 26 of 56 (16,646 Views)

Same essential problem here.  It seems to affect a groupchat I belong to the worst, maybe because people have different versions of Skype in use, but it will be going along fine and then for no apparent reason everything stops.  And I will routinely be unable to successfully post again for hours and hours, even after clearing all history (set to 'no history' anyway), deleting all cookies, quitting and re-starting, and all that jazz.  Like everyone else, my internet connection is fine in the meantime (and I even clear my browsing history several times a session to keep it from cluttering things up).  I enjoy Skype, but this is getting to be a really frequent problem and is very frustrating.  Please help.

Deemaris
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 27 of 56 (16,628 Views)

Try this.

1. Stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Run ("What you use to view files with") do:
%appdata%\skype
If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name with the problem, click on it. If you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. Using Run search:
%programfiles%
Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.

6. Re-install the latest version of Skype:
Skype Client

Regards,
Beowolfv

-If I Answered Your QuestionThenPlease Give "KUDOS" And Mark It As A "SOLUTION" So Others Can Find Help.
Beowolfv
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 20
Message 28 of 56 (16,572 Views)

I have been having the issue of my messages NOT going thru to one person on my contact list (located in a different country).  The person shows online. I see their mood, their avatar, etc.  So, I do not believe they have blocked me; however, in the past 3 days, no messages will go thru to this contact. I just get the little grey swirly circle.

So, I have decided to try your solution.  Guess what, I was not prompted to save my history, so I lost everything.

I am now re-installing skype.  I have zero hope this will fix my problem, but I wanted to let you know that your solution is not accurate.

ETA.  Just reinstalled. Nope, problem still there....

myskypeissues
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 29 of 56 (16,254 Views)

i did not work
kylee143
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 30 of 56 (15,662 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling