Re: Chat history keeps deleting itself

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Chat history keeps deleting itself

Hi, I set my skype to remember IM history "forever", however this setting seems to keep getting forgotten. Yesterday I signed out and exited skype, then this morning I signed back in (same computer) but my chat history from yesterday is gone. If I go to Tools->Options->IM Settings, the history option is reset to 'No History'.

Oddly some chat history from last week and beyond has been kept. There seems to be no difference in this behaviour between group chats and single conversations.

Is this a bug and is there any way around it? I'm running version 5.3.0.120 on Windows 7.

Also is there any way of getting my chat history from yesterday back? :smileysad:

NervousTic
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (1,148 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would try uninstalling skype, and removing (or moving to another location) the "C:\Users\WINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Skype"

folder... then re-install a fresh copy of skype.

replace WINDOWSUSERNAME with your login name for windows :bigsmile:

This would wipe out everything... and might fix the problem... but it would also wipe out any shred of chat history.

Sometimes I get history back when a friend comes online after a fresh install... if they still have it on their system it will sometimes re-send it to you.

Good luck!

amungthepeers
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 2 of 4 (1,141 Views)

With the current Skype clients both normal and beta, all history rolls away after some time.

It is still there, and can be viewed using 3rd party tools, however the Skype client GUI no longer supports infinite display of chat history.

Here is a 3rd party tool I created that can do this, however it is NOT pretty and requires that it be opened in an Internet Explorer Browser as well:

saveontelephonebills.com/skype/skypebeta/FriendlyChats.htm

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 1614
Message 3 of 4 (1,133 Views)

hi,

you can get your history back . you just need to sign in by other computer with the same user name and start chat with the same guy . Chat history comes up automatically . 

thanks!

singh_sarika
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 4 (1,102 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling