Cannot sign on due to "Disk I/O error"

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Cannot sign on due to "Disk I/O error"

I cannot sign on due to Disk I/O error. I followed wht Skype recommends: Deleted my user folder under C:\Users\<myname>\AppData\Roaming twice, does not help.

What else can I do?

Would reinstalling help?

topraka
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 8 (7,983 Views)

Re: Cannot sign on due to "Disk I/O error"

Well, I found a suggestion to delete one more file, which I did.

Still did not work.

Then I uninstalled and down;oaded the latest an reinstalled.

Deleted all old files and folders before installation, of course.

I am also looking at what transpired on my computer:

• I use it very infrequently but yesterday I recorded a conversation with PowerGramo. Skype worked for quite a number of hours after that though.
  • AVG (an antivirus program)  asked me to install a new version, and reboot.

I am not sure if these are affecting Skype....

topraka
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 8 (7,975 Views)

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6798
Message 3 of 8 (7,967 Views)

Thank you. This older version works.

So version 6.6 or 6.7 have problems with something, most likely AVG 2014 that just got installed.

topraka
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (7,959 Views)

Can not sign in with my msn account

i close yesterday skype from msn account and now i am trying to signing on and it shows that it loads.

it does not show even the tab to insert my e-mail and password.what can i do?

mania.craven
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 8 (7,906 Views)

Re: Can not sign in with my msn account

What version of Windows are you on (XP, Vista, Windows 7)? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6798
Message 6 of 8 (7,791 Views)

that does not sound good to me,   the message is that the disk is stuffing up,  in that skype can not read information from it,  at leat that is how I read it,   I would suggest you use a program that comes if a free cut down version http://www.hdsentinel.com/  it was so good I paid for it,  not expensive and does not expire,  so the key lasts as long as the company keeps updating, not like MS windows where you have to pay and pay,  or ithis one may be good but I have not tried it but it is free http://download.cnet.com/HDD-Health/3000-2086_4-10804806.html

another thing to also do is is check the hard disk sectors with something I would recomend http://www.partition-tool.com/ which has a free version with all the tools you want.

ray

kangy32
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (7,747 Views)

OK the same thing happened to me after I uninstalled AVG. I think one of the skype files becomes corrupted which then leads to the error. After trying all the useless fixes suggested here I tried this and it worked. 

I did run a registry cleaner before i unistalled the files but i think u can skip this step. 

Basically what you have to do is unistall skype. After doing this locate all instances of skype folders.

If i am not wrong there are three locations. Look for any folders that say skype and delete them. 

1. C: -> Program Files (x86)
  2. C: -> Program Data
  3. C: ->Users -> (Your Windows User Name) -> AppData -> Roaming

After this do a fresh install of skype. Should work after that. 

Vendetta22
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 8 (1,520 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling