Cannot change profile picture

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Cannot change profile picture

Hello everyone.

I have a problem with skype, which happened after an update (I don't remember which one. Not the latest, for sure.). Basically, I cannot change my profile picture. All the ways to change it are disabled: in the edit mode there is no "change your picture" or similar...

... and from the menu the option "change your picture" is disabled (grayed).

I tried uninstalling Skype completely using this guide and then downloading the latest version again and re-installing it, but no change whatsoever. I still cannot change my profile picture.

Someone can help, please? It's frustrating.

Thanks.

KiraV
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 1 of 10 (27,384 Views)

Re: Cannot change profile picture

In order to solve this issue, please try the following:

1. Quit Skype entirely. You can do that by right clicking Skype in the system tray (next to the clock) then select Quit.
  2. On your keyboard press Windows button and R.
  3. In the Run window, enter C:\Users\<your windows username>\AppData\Roaming then press Enter.
  4. Delete the Skype folder entirely. 
  5. Start Skype again.

That should reset all the Skype settings and files giving you a new start. I hope that solved the issue.

Saber
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 49
Message 2 of 10 (27,238 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've already tried it. As I said before, I tried uninstalling skype completely with the guide linked above, which included deleting the Skype folder in the AppData/Roaming location. Nothing changed. As I re-installed skype, I still was unable to change the picture.

KiraV
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 10 (27,209 Views)

I am having exactly the same problem and have tried the recommended fix.  Nothing has changed.  I am able to use my cam to take a picture but I am not able to browse my computer and use an existing picture.

jiml
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 10 (26,597 Views)

Try this, it really works, I fix problem just few minutes ago

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/change-profile-picture/m-p/447199#M40068

petre
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 10 (26,535 Views)

it worked..thank you
neethujoy14
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 10 (22,870 Views)

- install and login to Skype on a skype- capable phone
- click on your existing profile picture to change or remove picture.

That is the only solution that worked for me, after extensive testing. Bad on you, Skype!

AnnoyedSkypeUse
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 10 (7,215 Views)

i can but cant change to a internet pic how do u do this?

loltclol
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 10 (2,768 Views)

I was having a similar issue updating my Skype Profile information including: Edit email addresses, add phone numbers, add birthday etc. Turns out this was specific to IE9 in my case and Tracking Protection/Content Filtering in IE. Clicking the  blue circle with a line through in IE9 address bar and selectiong Turn off content filtering fixed the problem. Can't see a way to set this option for the Skype site in IE9 permanently though so have to do this each time I visit the site - or just use Chrome instead! Hope this helps.

MartLea
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 10 (1,974 Views)

TFC!  If it takes registry corrections to put a picture in, or add a picture, something is really wrong with Skype.  I, for one, can DO WITHOUT!  (I am just TFO to deal with this crap!)

dennphill
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 10 (1,892 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling