Can't message offline contacts

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Can't message offline contacts

Since upgrading to 5.5.0.113 I've had problems sending messages to contacts who are offline, or even online but showing offline. The messages sit there with the little circular arrow going round and round and round, sometimes for days, and don't display until the person comes online or posts something while showing offline. At the moment I can't get in touch with one of my contacts, who I was chatting to a few minutes ago, because she's showing offline and I had to reboot my computer. My message saying "I'm back" is sitting there spinning its wheels and she can't see it even though she's there. I've uninstalled Skype and reinstalled it a couple of times, and this is still happening. Never had this problem with the old version.
tnbskts
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (3,745 Views)

Re: Can't message offline contacts

You have two problems, and I can only explain one: you can't send messages to people offline (or even showing offline) is now by design. Well, you can, but unlike most chat clients, they won't go anywhere until that person is online.

For a brief time last year, Skype actually did have offline messaging, but then they had that terrible outage in December, and that was that. Maybe MS will bring it back, since Windows Messenger has it.

forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=792467

Your contact doesn't happen to be in invisible mode, right?

rseiler
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 209
Message 2 of 3 (3,451 Views)

Re: Can't message offline contacts

[ Edited ]

rseiler wrote:

Your contact doesn't happen to be in invisible mode, right?

actually it wouldn't matter if the contact had set their status to Invisible -- this would not interfere with calls, IM, or any other kind of connection in any way

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 822
Message 3 of 3 (3,447 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling