Can't make call- Problem with recording device

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Can't make call- Problem with recording device

I called my parents several times via skype and everything worked perfectly.  Now however, when we try and call, we get the message "Problem with Recording Device".  The camera appears to be working.

The problem is on their side.  They get the same message with the echo/test call.

Windows XP home edition

Internet Explorer version 8

no other problems

Any advice?

Thanks,

Lisa

g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

The problem you're seeing typically is caused by an issue with your microphone.

What type webcam are your parents using?

What version of Skype?  Click on Help > About Skype for the version number.

And ask them to click on Tools > Options > Audio settings.  Make sure the choice in the Microphone window is set properly, probably to whatever make/model you webcam is.  After doing that, do they see the green volume indicator bars flashing when they talk?

View solution in original post
laholden
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 27 (47,286 Views)

Re: Can't make call- Problem with recording device

[ Edited ]

The problem you're seeing typically is caused by an issue with your microphone.

What type webcam are your parents using?

What version of Skype?  Click on Help > About Skype for the version number.

And ask them to click on Tools > Options > Audio settings.  Make sure the choice in the Microphone window is set properly, probably to whatever make/model you webcam is.  After doing that, do they see the green volume indicator bars flashing when they talk?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 27 (47,221 Views)

Recording device means microphone. Is their microphone working?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6975
Message 3 of 27 (47,219 Views)

Thank you very much!

Your info helped me to help them troubleshoot and fix the problem.  Somehow Windows didn't have their camera selected for the microphone.  When they selected the camera it worked!  Your comment about the flashing green bars was especially helpful!  It helped us see the problem right away!

Thanks again!

Lisa

laholden
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 4 of 27 (47,210 Views)

:(y):  Glad you're back in touch with your folks.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 939
Message 5 of 27 (47,207 Views)

Thank you for this advice - it seems to be impossible to contact Skype top get an answer with any problems.

I followed your advice and my Skype now works. I don't yet know how to enter anything to show how much your advicwe has helped - but thank you anyway!

Paul_Holden
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 27 (47,023 Views)

Hi unknow friend,

I can tell you, I had the same problem since I upgraded Skype to the latest (5.5.) version. At first I thought I had a problem with my headset or integrated microphone and webcam and I checked those devices. Everything seemed to be O.K. Several times I removed Skype from my pc and reïnstalled Skype again and again but the same problems remained. I was really irritated you can imagine that.

I was looking on Google and installed an old version of Skype I guess 5.3. or less. After installing that program I saw to my alarm that this version has been configurated to 5.5 again, so I was affraid that the problem has not been solved. When I opened SKYPE I phoned first to the sound test and.... this phonecall was answered to me. NO Problem with recording devices appeared on the sceen. A miracle but it worked out. Good Luck!

pj0ter
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 27 (46,630 Views)

New computer...maybe new version of Skype.....message appears.....problem with recording advice.  Should I just re-install former version of Skype?

Helent
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 27 (45,807 Views)

Hi, I'm getting the same problem. I tried install/reinstall Skype but still not working. My Microphone under Tools are properly set.

archiemedillo
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 27 (45,185 Views)

The only time I received that error is when I installed Skype after re-installing my operating system.  Then I fully update my operating system and installed the latest versions of the device drivers for my pc (display, webcam, microphone, audio), then the problem disappeared after.  Not really suure if the same will work in your cases, but there's no harm in trying.  :happy:

VooDooDoll
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 238
Message 10 of 27 (45,177 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling