Can't make a video call

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Can't make a video call

I'm trying to call my brother, who I've talked to on Skype lots of times before.  Now it won't let me make a video call.  Gives the icon which indicates he's either "on a phone or mobile," which he is not.  Therefore, it will only let me make a paid phone call--not a video call.  What's happened?  How can I fix this??  Thanks!

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 14
Message 1 of 38 (33,858 Views)

Re: Can't make a video call

Mac or Windows?  

I can only speak to the Windows versions, in which the latest versions grey out the Video Call button when the contact selected is showing offline.

However, you can still try the video call by clicking on the contat to select it, then right clicking, then clicking on Video Call on the menu that comes up.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1889
Message 2 of 38 (33,824 Views)

Thanks for your reply--but when I right click on the name, I do not get the choice of Video Call.  That is simply not there.  Can anyone else help with this?  (Or maybe you have another solution.  I appreciate anyone trying!)

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 3 of 38 (33,785 Views)

[ Edited ]

You never did answer Mac or Windows?

What version of Skype?  Find that in Help > About Skype.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 38 (33,783 Views)

I have Skype 4.2.0.155 and am using Windows XP on a PC.

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 5 of 38 (33,776 Views)

Ok...that's an old version of Skype which is why my tip about right-clicking didn't work.

Does Skype show your own status as online?

Can you browse websites with Internet Explorer, even if IE isn't your primary browser?

In Internet Explorer, click on Internet Options > General > Browsing history and click Delete.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 38 (33,771 Views)

I now have downloaded the latest version of Skype but still can't make the video call. IE is my primary browser. I have a PC (Windows XP). When I right click on the person's name, it does NOT give me the choice of "video call."
LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 7 of 38 (33,740 Views)

So it's clear, this is what right clicking on a contact should look like in a recent version of Skype....assuming that contact has video capbility, and doesn't have do not show video in their privacy settings.

rightclick.jpg

Pressing on trying to pin down the problem...

Exactly what version of Skype are you running now?

Does it show your own status as online?

Did you clear IE's browsing history?

Can your brother receive video calls from any other contacts?

Do you have the same issue, no choice to make a video call, to other contacts or only your brother?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 38 (33,733 Views)

I have the free version only installed last week. Bought a camera today which seems to be working > i do not have the option "video call" (green button) Although if I right click contact I can select video call. Do I maybe have to make one call this way before I can select the button ?
tontouw
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 38 (33,703 Views)

No, you shouldn't have to make a call to have the green video call button, but the contact you select has to have video and be showing that in their privacy settings.

And again, a contact has to be status online for the green button to appear in full brightness, not greyed out.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 38 (33,699 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling