Can't get online on Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't get online on Skype

Hello. I have been using Skype forever on my PC, didn't change anything, or any new installations, but for some reason I am unable to get online.

My Skype opens normally and log in. I get to the contact list, where I can see all contacts, but I am not online (and can't contact any contacts)

I am on the internet, all other applications work fine.

I can't run the "get updates" - nothing happens.

I have tried to close down skype from task manager and start it again - same problem.

I have reinstalled Skype - same problem. But now i also get the screen telling me that Skype home is unavailable.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

winsr
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 1 of 11 (9,739 Views)

Re: Can't get online on Skype

One more thing.

When I log out - i Get to the log in screen, and I can't log in again. Nothing happens when I click the Log In button...

winsr
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 11 (9,552 Views)

suggestions;

You can try to completely uninstall Skype, then re-install a fresh copy of Skype.  just back up any Skype related details or files that you feel is important to you before considering this suggestion.  link to procedure pasted below;

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10634/How-can-I-completely-uninstall-and-then-reinstall-Skype

IF YOU FOUND OUR POST USEFUL THEN PLEASE GIVE "KUDOS". IF IT HELPED TO FIX YOUR ISSUE PLEASE MARK IT AS A "SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS. THANKS!
ALTERNATIVE SKYPE DOWNLOAD LINKS | HOW TO RECORD SKYPE VIDEO CALLS | HOW TO HANDLE SUSPICIOS CALLS AND MESSAGES
SEE MORE TIPS, TRICKS, TUTORIALS AND UPDATES in
| skypefordummies.blogspot.com | 

Primemover
Power User
Kudos: 1672
Message 3 of 11 (9,547 Views)

winsr wrote:

One more thing.

When I log out - i Get to the log in screen, and I can't log in again. Nothing happens when I click the Log In button...

Can you get to msn.com using a IE ("Internet Explorer") browser?

If so....

A new version has just been released July 28, 2011:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

This new version is 5.5.0.112 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 587
Message 4 of 11 (9,541 Views)

That did unfortunately not work :sad:

winsr
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (9,535 Views)

I am using the 112 version

winsr
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 11 (9,534 Views)

Using an IE ("Internet Explorer") browser window, can you get to msn.com?

Also:

If you are usng Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 7 of 11 (9,531 Views)

This is so weird.

Yesterday when i started my computer, i logged directly in to Skype and went online. This morning, back to the same problem...

There is nothing in the event log, and the total uninstall and reinstall did not help either :sad:

winsr
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 11 (9,508 Views)

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to msn.com, what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try msn.com again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 11 (9,500 Views)

Found a fix for Windows 7, not sure about windows 8

1. Quit Skype

2. Open the "run application" by pressing WinKey+R

3. Type "%appdata%"

4. Open the "Skype" folder

5. Search "eas.db"

6. Delete "eas.db" and remove all items from the recycle bin

7. Launch skype and go online - Should work

Tom8Tom
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 11 (2,751 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling