Can't call as I have no video

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't call as I have no video

When I try to call one of my key contacts this is what happens: I double click on that contact. The secondary SKYPE window opens and offers "Video call" and "Call Phone". When I click on "Video Call" I get the message "you can't make a video call because SKYPE can't find a video camera on your PC" (or words to that effect). Of course SKYPE can't detect a video camera because I don't have one :sad: When I click on the "Call Phone" option, SKYPE tells me that I can't make that call either because I don't have money in my account. So why does it not offer me the simple "Call" option?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tahunga
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (2,016 Views)

Re: Can't call as I have no video

you can receive video from the other end if you don't have a webcam -- just start an audio-only call first and then wait for the other end to start their video -- if you haven't done so already, ensure that the option to receive video automatically is enabled (see Tools|Options|Video settings --> Automatically receive video and share screens with...)

if you want to make a free Skype-to-Skype call with a contact, ensure that you are calling their Skype Name (not their landline/mobile number) by clicking on the dropdown arrow to the right of the Call button

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 297
Message 2 of 6 (2,008 Views)

Nell,

thanks for helping ....but: As I said, there is no "Call" button. Only a "Video Call" and a "Call Phone" button. There is no "pull-down" for other options on either of those two buttons. In short, there must be some other way to convince SKYPE that I really have no video cam, nor do I have an account. All I want to do is "Call" (SKYPE to SKYPE).

And "yes, I know" that I can receive calls from contacts with and without video cams. But I can't call them.

...thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Tahunga

Ariki
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (1,988 Views)

please post a screenshot that shows the issue
Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 6 (1,935 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok I think you need a camera to do Video call which sucks. But I think you can message your friends on skype i don't know if you can  do a phonecall with or with out a camera but i wish you can skype without a camera.:catfrustrated:

Moderator Note: Attachment irrelevant to post; removed.

Friendlyals
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (578 Views)

Friendlyals wrote:

Ok I think you need a camera to do Video call which sucks. But I think you can message your friends on skype i don't know if you can  do a phonecall with or with out a camera but i wish you can skype without a camera

you don't need a camera to receive video, but obviously you do need one to send video

Audio-only calls do no require a camera on either end

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 6 (572 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling