Can't access full skype chat history on Windows 7

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Can't access full skype chat history on Windows 7

I'm looking for a specific conversation that took place about a year ago via Skype chat. When I open the application, I'm given the option to view messages "from the beginning" with the user I'm concerned with, but the messages shown don't actually go all the way back to the beginning. They only go to about October 2011 when I know for a fact I started chatting with this user in about February of 2011. I can't remember ever intentionally deleting chat history, and don't know why I would, so I don't think that's what happened.

Next, I looked in the Skype folder on my computer to try and see if the messages from Feb-Oct were saved there. The folders themselves are saved, but they're empty. For example, I have folders from Feb through October (which the actual Skype application doesn't show), named things like "0b", "36", "cc", all  random things, but when I open the folder there is no chat file saved.

I'm wondering WHY this has happened. Skype knows I sent and received messages from early-late 2011, but for some reason hasn't saved the actual messages. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the version of Skype that I currently have (5.10.0.116). And does anyone know how I could possibly access the older messages?

lisaarenee
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (6,972 Views)

Re: Can't access full skype chat history on Windows 7

All your messages are saved in one file – the main.db database file, which you will find in the folder named as your Skype name. Looking in files saved in the “chatsync” sub-folder is useless.

If you can’t find the particular conversation in Skype, then it might be that you have used another computer at that time or for one or other reason the chats were deleted.

You can see which chats are available in the main.db file using this free application – SkypeLogView.

nirsoft.net/utils/skype_log_view.html

If you will not be able to find the chat you are looking for using SkypeLogView, then it’s gone or at least is not available on your computer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5775
Message 2 of 5 (6,965 Views)

Hi,

I've got the same problem - from some time now I can not display the chat history... tried a couple of reinstals but did not help... anybody has apt solution??

maciek_leatherm
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (1,652 Views)

I also have the same problem.. but Over the years I have had to replace my Hard drive so i dont have the txt doc with the list.. but before I was able to see all the way back to 2012.. but since this last few updates I cannot view all the way back.. and I am looking for once specific message from back in 2012... Is there a way to find this.. cause my scroll for the view entire history is stuck at the beginning of 2014, and i have not had to replace/reformat still 2013

Bersuch
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 5 (34 Views)

Bersuch wrote:

I also have the same problem.. but Over the years I have had to replace my Hard drive so i dont have the txt doc with the list.. but before I was able to see all the way back to 2012.. but since this last few updates I cannot view all the way back.. and I am looking for once specific message from back in 2012... Is there a way to find this.. cause my scroll for the view entire history is stuck at the beginning of 2014, and i have not had to replace/reformat still 2013

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Can-t-access-full-skype-chat-history-on-Windows...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5775
Message 5 of 5 (17 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling