Finally a solution that works! Thanks for posting.
Perhaps Skype's error message should include a link to a Download page that lists links to full packages like the one posted.
It would prevent new users going in circles and having to search forums for a way to get their software.
I tried both solutions: clearing the history cookies and chache files, restarting and stopping the processess. then tried to DL both the latest version from the website and/or V 56.
nothing works. please help!
In your case and your case only.
1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.
2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.
3. Using Windows File Explorer ("What you use to view files with") do:
If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.
4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.
5. Using the Windows file Explorer enter:
NOTE: If This is a 64 bit system, please look in the program files (x86) folder
Right click on the Skype folder and choose delete.
6. Please install the normal version using the instructions below:
You can install the current normal release by doing this from the top of this page:
Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the normal release.
These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.
Also, what operating system are you on and do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?