Can't Get Logitech C910 Into Widescreen (HD) In Sk...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Can't Get Logitech C910 Into Widescreen (HD) In Skype

My Microsoft LifeCam Cinema camera shows up in Skype as HD (actually widescreen), but nothing I can do causes my Logitech C910 to work in HD. Some people claim they've gotten the C910 to work in widescreen with Skype, but I'm not successful.

To save time, the machine is a brand new build of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. All updates are service packs are installed. No other software is running in the background. It has 4GB of memory. Skype is 5.5. The latest Logitech drivers are installed. The camera works in HD/widescreen with the Logitech Webcam Software. The camera is plugged into a USB 2.0 input.

The Logitech quality is superior to the LifeCam quality or I would just use the LifeCam. If there is any way to get the C910 to work with Skype (it says "Skype Certified" on the box), that would be great. I suspect that there is a problem with the Logitech drivers because the "widescreen" checkblock does not appear except in LWS.

neumannu47
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 10 (3,888 Views)

Re: Can't Get Logitech C910 Into Widescreen (HD) In Skype

Any firewalls installed? Nortons / Symantec / Kaspersky, can stop cams from working. If either of these are installed, uninstall it. Then install something better

PaulAuckNZ
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 10 (3,731 Views)

Nope. No firewalls at all. However, no ports are forwarded through the router. Keep in mind that the LifeCam works in widescreen. The C910 does not. Same computer, same setup.

neumannu47
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (3,721 Views)

I was finally able to get Skype 5.3 into HD/widescreen with the C910 by using Xsplit's virtual camera. However, when I allowed Skype to update to 5.5, it went back to 4:3/SD, so I rolled by Skype to 5.3, where it will stay until Skype gets some bugs worked out.

neumannu47
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (3,710 Views)

I have the same problem. No widescreen video when using my c910 camera. Since almost all screens have shifted to widescreen, Skype too should work on sending widescreen video (this should be a user choice) - for instance, send 640X360 with slightly higher frame rate instead of 640X480 - or 800X480 with lower frame rate. I think there is a bug  - my computer CPU use is around 50% when using 640X480 skype (so there is still some horsepower available) and upload bandwidth (DSL) is 1Mbps - download 12 Mbps (from speedtests).

bongo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 10 (3,499 Views)

[ Edited ]

bongo wrote:

I have the same problem. No widescreen video when using my c910 camera. Since almost all screens have shifted to widescreen, Skype too should work on sending widescreen video (this should be a user choice) - for instance, send 640X360 with slightly higher frame rate instead of 640X480 - or 800X480 with lower frame rate. I think there is a bug  - my computer CPU use is around 50% when using 640X480 skype (so there is still some horsepower available) and upload bandwidth (DSL) is 1Mbps - download 12 Mbps (from speedtests).

As I've discussed with  neumannu47 in another thread, I usually get 1280x720 @ 30 fps with my C910.  I have several contacts who are also running the C910 and I typically receive HD from them too.  But I can tell you for certain that 1 mb/s upstream is nowhere near enough bandwidth for HD video in Skype. 

For the first minute of a video call where connection conditions are good my upstream hovers around 150 kB/s.  After the first minute I jump to HD and my upload increases to ~350 kB/s, or about 2.75 megabits.  If during the call the connection speed falls back down much below 200 kB/s, I drop back to SD.

If you want HD Skype you're going to have to get faster upstream to the Internet.

edit:

Other info about my system for whatever it's worth:

Windows 7 (x64) SP1

Intel i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz CPU

6 GB RAM

Video card: nVidia 9800GT

A/V & firewall: Miscrosoft Security Essentials

Webcam: Logitech C910 drive version 8.17.12.8026 dated 8/3/2011

Skype version: 5.6.0.110

Internet: FiOS (fiber) 25/25 mb/s up and down

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1903
Message 6 of 10 (3,493 Views)

g4pilut wrote:

If you want HD Skype you're going to have to get faster upstream to the Internet.

Internet: FiOS (fiber) 25/25 mb/s up and down

For what it's worth, I discovered that if I use the virtual camera of XSplit as the camera for Skype, I can do widescreen. It's probably not HD. My upload is 5MB. 

OT: How much do you have to pay for 25/25? That would be sweet.

neumannu47
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (3,488 Views)

I have a package that includes TV, landline, and Internet so I can't break out how much the 25/25 portion is costing me.  It is pretty sweet though.  :happy:

speedtest.jpg

24/7/365  :(y):

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 10 (3,484 Views)

Even if there are CPU and bandwidth limitations, it'd be nice if Skype would simply transmit a 16:9 image, or at least give us such an option, instead of sticking to 4:3 images. It doesn't have to be HD - at least allow widescreen. Also, in earlier versions of Skype (using the Logitech 9000 pro webcam), the picture would shift to widescreen (and quite high quality at the other end). It no longer does so. Incidentally, I am on sonic.net fusion service. Incidentally, in limited testing, we could not get HD Skype to work from an academic location with stupidly fast internet (same camera and a Core i7 laptop) .

bongo
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 9 of 10 (3,461 Views)

I do agree with would be nice if Skype would allow manual settings of video resolution.  I've said so many times.  In my case, more often I'd prefer to stay in 4:3 rather than jump to 16:9.  I'm not holding by breath expecting that feature any time soon.

Why you can't get Skype to go to HD on a powerful enough PC with a fast enough connection....I don't know.  Unless conditions at the other end of the connection were less than optimal.

Skype moves in mysterious ways.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 10 (3,459 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling