Built in webcam not working with Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Built in webcam not working with Skype

Ok, I looked through the forums and tried some of the suggestions listed to no avail.

I have an hp g7 laptop with the built in hp-webcam 101 running windows 7 64-bit.

I recently downloaded Skype to communicate with friends that have moved away. When I first set everything up the webcam worked fine for the test video. Last night I was trying to make my first call, first thing I did was open the settings and check that the cam was working, it was so I made the call. When the call connected it stated the cam could not be accessed, saying it might be in use already. I checked and sure enough youcam had opened also. I uninstalled youcam and restarted the system. On try two the cam worked in the test but not once I made the call. I then exited Skype and updated drivers for the cam, didn't fix the problem, I completely uninstalled the camera and when it detected the "new hardware" I re-installed the drivers and rebooted. This time the camera worked in the test and when I first made the call, but cut out with the same error message when the other person answered. During all calls I could see/hear my friend but they could only hear me. Also, once the error occurred I would end the call and check the cam in the tool settings and it would no longer be working here either. I hope someone can help me with this Since I am moving soon and would like to be able to communicate with friends when I do.
Knightdiver1021
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 14 (68,694 Views)

Re: Built in webcam not working with Skype

Try to reset all Skype settings and when you will be asked to select your webcam, make sure that you actually select HP webcam 101 and nothing else.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5602
Message 2 of 14 (68,688 Views)

I need the skype video call is working in my computer,thanks !!!
franciscondasil
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 14 (67,225 Views)

franciscondasil wrote:
I need the skype video call is working in my computer,thanks !!!

reinstall latest beta Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 5986
Message 4 of 14 (67,148 Views)

I have the same HP g7 laptop with built in cam. It worked fine until the last few days. Now I have exactly the same problem whereby the cam starts, works for a few second, then switches off and everytime I try to activiate it it fails.

I have changed nothing in the operating system (Win 7).

I have installed no new products. I updated Skype to v6.1 on 6th Feb 2013 and there were no problems with the video for about one month.

Was this every solved?

Regards

Brian Cleveland

brian_cleveland
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 14 (55,691 Views)

same happened to me! One day web cam working next it was "in use" tried the above! still not working. Suggestions please!

Adl123
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 14 (54,673 Views)

reinstall latest beta Skype with this link:
http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta
fixed the problem...
Adl123
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (54,666 Views)

I managed to solve the skype problem by downloading below HP multimedia software.

ArcSoft Webcam Sharing Manager

Link:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?cc=us&prodNameId=5045596&prodSeri...

try this....

Skype user for probook 6460b

jaswal
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 8 of 14 (46,021 Views)

Hi All,

i had a similar problem on my Probook 4530s machine after skype automatically upgraded it self to the latest version.. i solved it by installaing ArcSoft Webcam Sharing Manage.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5060882&...

arshednadeem
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 9 of 14 (46,009 Views)

Thanks jaswal

This worked for me also!
VLop
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 14 (42,016 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling