Asus USB2.0 Webcam Troubles

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Asus USB2.0 Webcam Troubles

[ Edited ]

I need help with my webcam. With the application of Asus, also known as Lifeframe 3.1.1, my webcam works just fine. But whenever I open skype, and have a videochat with somebody, my webcam doesn't work. I check my settings and it is set to either Asus Virtual Camera (which I dont know it's use for) and Asus USB2.0 Webcam. But with Asus USB2.0 Webcam it keeps loading and staying black. I deleted the driver of the webcam like several times and let it reinstall automatically by Windows. Nothing seems to work and I even tried one solution from another forum I found on google from skype, to install Manycam. Granted, Manycam worked.........sort of.... It shows up in the video settings but it shows a quick capture of what it sees on the webcam and then turns black. And i cant use it in video chat because it crashes. I have a Asus A55VD laptop. I dont know what furthur specs you need. Please help... I'm trying to make a long distance video chat with my wife.

Accepted Solution

by techfreak

You may want to remove your camera from device manager and let it re-install itself.  You may want to go to the Asus website to see if there are updated drivers for it.  Check to make sure no other program is installed that could be accessing the camera as well.  If it still does not work, your camera or the built-in cable it is connected to may have developed a defect.

View solution in original post

Accepted Solution

by Nairel2

Well my webcam works in skype now :bigsmile: Here is what I've done:

I deleted the webcam from my Device Manager, just as you told me. I went to the Asus support website, but sadly it doesn't have specific drivers for the webcam. At least not for my model laptop. So another thing came to my mind and I decided to go to the Microsoft fix-it website. http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

I choosed these options.

1. Problem area is Windows.

2. Install or upgrade software or hardware

3. I clicked "Run Now" on Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

So Microsoft Fix-it did something for me and when it was done. I tested my cam with Skype and it worked !!! :bigsmile: ooh what a joy! Also I have taken the liberty to update my skype version just to see if my cam would work on the later versions. Currently 6.6.73.106 my webcam still works !! 

So if all else fails, try microsoft fix-it with those steps I just said and maybe the solution worked for you as well :happy:

View solution in original post
Nairel2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 9 (7,023 Views)

Re: Asus USB2.0 Webcam Troubles

Does your laptop have an inbuilt webcam as well? If so, try that and test it. Then try the Asus Virtual Camera option to test what happens. If all else fails, go to OPtions-> Video Setting and try the Webcam settings and see it that works.

=========================================================================
If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button.
If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
DJSampat
Reliable Adventurer
Kudos: 13
Message 2 of 9 (7,009 Views)

My good sir, thank you for the quick respond. Usually it takes longer... but anyway as far as I know, Asus USB2.0 Webcam IS the inbuilt camera and Asus Virtual camera is just software that came along with the laptop (Which I still dont know the use of it). 

The Asus Virtual camera just keeps a black screen but doesn't stay loading like the Asus Inbuilt camera (Asus USB2.0 webcam). 

Nairel2
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (6,992 Views)

You may be running into issues just because the ASUS Virtual Camera software is installed.  You should remove it from "Programs and Features" so it doesn't become an issue with the newer releases.  Versions 6.1 and below  tend to more forgiving with that software.   So if you prefer to keep it installed you should be able to downgrade to the Skype special version to get you up and running.  You should be able to safely uninstall the latest version, then install this one.

Skype Special Version (6.1.999.130):

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-sse

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 812
Message 4 of 9 (6,989 Views)

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/6-6-update-Video-messages-just-got-better/m-p/1...

same for me in Dell XPS, which came with Creative camera...(works well in Dell webcam central/google hangout and other clients but not with skype)

ultimatrix
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 9 (6,979 Views)

thanks for Skype Special Version (6.1.999.130), my camera works well in this version
ultimatrix
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 6 of 9 (6,976 Views)

Well, I have uninstalled Asus Virtual Camera, because I don't have any use for it. Rebooted the computer because Skype told me the Asus USB2.0 was in use. After the reboot it still didnt work. So I deleted skype and installed the special version you provided. Unfortunately that didnt work either. Any other solutions? I have also noticed that in the application Lifeframe i cant use 640x480 and 352x288 mode in video or camera mode. It used to work. Maybe there is a connection to those two? I test my cam too on the website http://www.testmycam.com/ And it didn't work there too..... 

Nairel2
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (6,961 Views)

You may want to remove your camera from device manager and let it re-install itself.  You may want to go to the Asus website to see if there are updated drivers for it.  Check to make sure no other program is installed that could be accessing the camera as well.  If it still does not work, your camera or the built-in cable it is connected to may have developed a defect.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 812
Message 8 of 9 (6,945 Views)

Well my webcam works in skype now :bigsmile: Here is what I've done:

I deleted the webcam from my Device Manager, just as you told me. I went to the Asus support website, but sadly it doesn't have specific drivers for the webcam. At least not for my model laptop. So another thing came to my mind and I decided to go to the Microsoft fix-it website. http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

I choosed these options.

1. Problem area is Windows.

2. Install or upgrade software or hardware

3. I clicked "Run Now" on Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

So Microsoft Fix-it did something for me and when it was done. I tested my cam with Skype and it worked !!! :bigsmile: ooh what a joy! Also I have taken the liberty to update my skype version just to see if my cam would work on the later versions. Currently 6.6.73.106 my webcam still works !! 

So if all else fails, try microsoft fix-it with those steps I just said and maybe the solution worked for you as well :happy:

Nairel2
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (6,931 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling