An error occurred while attempting to create the d...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Users\owner\AppData"

[ Edited ]

I keep receiving this message

An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Users\owner\AppData"

anyone knows how to fix this?

hamoodi719
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 46 (10,508 Views)

Re: An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Users\owner\AppData"

[ Edited ]

What are you doing when you get that error?  Installing Skype or trying to run it?

edit:  If you're getting that message while trying to install Skype, download the full installer for the latest veresion here:  skype.com/go/getskype-full

After downloading that .exe and saving it to your hard drive, run it and see if it generates the same error message.  If it does, try right clicking on the .exe and clicking on Run as administrator.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 937
Message 2 of 46 (10,500 Views)

Re: An error occurred while attempting to create the directory: C:\Users\owner\AppData"

everytime I try to install it

hamoodi719
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 46 (10,495 Views)

Ok.  I edited my earlier answer but didn't get it posted before you replied.  Try that full installer (unless you already are) and see if that solves the problem.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 937
Message 4 of 46 (10,493 Views)

it didn't work, I still receive the same error

hamoodi719
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 46 (10,487 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please try ununinstalling Skype using the Windows Control Panel Add/Remove programs.

When/if prompted to save any history, choose the don't save option. Try to re-install Skype again. What happens?

Curious, are you using a Windows User Id that is an administrator Id, or a normal Windows User Id?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 6 of 46 (10,482 Views)

I have Windows 7, and I did uninstall it, but after that the message kept showing up everytime I try to reinstall it again

am on Admin user

hamoodi719
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 46 (10,474 Views)

[ Edited ]

What drive is Windows installed on C: or another?

If Windows is installed on the C: drive, Can you try to install the beta version instead?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 46 (10,469 Views)

I might be wrong but the issue is most likely related to missing permissions for the C:\Users\WinUserName\AppData folder. If this is the case, then not only Skype but all other programs which need to access this folder will not install properly. In order to locate this folder one has to type %appdata% in Windows Start Search box and press Enter. Right click on the AppData folder, select properties and Security tab. Select in turn all the user names listed there. Should be something like SYSTEM, your win user name and Administrators. For each of the users look for which permissions are given for this folder. If some permissions are missing, then click Edit and change to Allow. You will only be able to do this if you have Administrative privileges.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6917
Message 9 of 46 (10,462 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, this is why I wanted to make sure that the Windows installation was in fact on the C: drive first.

Because, one would think if this is permission based, that it would have shown errors during other application installs in the past.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 46 (10,458 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling