All my contacts have disappeared.

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

All my contacts have disappeared.

I started the computer and all my contacts have disappeared.  My profile is still there but all the contacts are gone.

Annede
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 8 (4,678 Views)

Re: All my contacts have disappeared.

[ Edited ]

Annede wrote:

I started the computer and all my contacts have disappeared.  My profile is still there but all the contacts are gone.

Hello,

Reset all Skype settings. In most cases this recovers lost contacts.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1328
Message 2 of 8 (4,658 Views)

NormanM wrote:

Annede wrote:

Hello,

Reset all Skype settings. In most cases this recovers lost contacts.

Quit Skype or use Windows Task Manager to kill any Skype.exe process. Go to Windows Start and in the Search/Run box type %appdata%, press Enter or click the OK button. The Windows File Explorer will pop up. There locate a folder named “Skype”. Rename this folder to something different, e.g. Skype_old. Restart Skype.

N.B. If needed, you will still be able to re-establish your call and chat history. All data is still saved in the Skype_old folder.

Thank you, I did as you said, but it has reopened and the contacts are still missing.

Annede
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (4,648 Views)

Annede wrote:

Thank you, I did as you said, but it has reopened and the contacts are still missing.

please contact Skype customer service

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1328
Message 4 of 8 (4,640 Views)

Thanks for your efforts.  I haven't been able to restore my contact list except by asking individuals all over again and getting some from Facebook.  Groan.  I realise now what hapened.  I changed my laptop, but kept the old one for public use in my office and cleaned up all my personal data off it.  When I got to skype I deleted all my contacts from Skype on the old laptop, not realising that that meant they would be deleted from my profile on the new one also.  I should have simply signed out....but there's no easy way of knowing that for someone who isn't a computer expert.  I thought there would be some place on a cloud where all the contqacts were safely stored and would be retrievable, but it seems not, the deletion is permanent. 

Annede
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (4,632 Views)

Contacts information is indeed saved on the cloud, but when you delete the contacts on any Skype installation, they are also deleted from the cloud. Contacts information is global across all devices.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6299
Message 6 of 8 (4,619 Views)

ruwim wrote:

Contacts information is indeed saved on the cloud, but when you delete the contacts on any Skype installation, they are also deleted from the cloud. Contacts information is global across all devices.

Yes, I realise that now, but there's nothing obvious that tells a simple computer punter like me that that is the case until after the damage is done!  Where is the warning or information about that for ordinary users BEFORE they do the damage?

Thanks anyway for your help.

Annede
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (4,614 Views)

I've been using skype ever since the old days and today when I opened skype all my contacts have disapeared! All of them... Like every single contact I had. I did not change computers, nor updated/installed new software. What happened skype? 

Tomek18
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 8 (1,960 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling