Access to Skype Turns Off Desktop Computer

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Access to Skype Turns Off Desktop Computer

I have Skype installed on my laptop and desktop computers.

I have no problems with Skype on my laptop.  However, I a major problem with Skype on my desktop...As follows:

My desktop is I5-PC running Windows 7.  It is a 64 Bit.  8 RAM memory. 

Skype was running well and started to experience problems well after installing I updated with a newer version of Skype.

The problem now is that immediately after installation Skype will run ok.  However, if I shut down my system Skype will not run on reboot.  When I reboot or whenever I start my computer and Skype appears in the Windows toolbar my screen display goes goes multi-color and after a few seconds of the wild screen the system shuts down and reboots in safe mode.

This will happen again and again until I remove Skype completely.  My desktop will work great until I re-install Skype again and the mysterious shut-downs resurface.

I'm lost as to what to do....

Levis 

levisouellet
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (439 Views)

Re: Access to Skype Turns Off Desktop Computer

Open Windows System Configuration (msconfig) -> Startup. Uncheck Skype from the startup option. Reboot your computer. What happens now when you start Skype using the desktop shortcut (Skype icon)?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 7331
Message 2 of 8 (432 Views)

Hi Ruwin and thanks....

I did this already a number of times in the last two weeks but that does not help.

I must go via msconfig and tick off Skype and reboot in order to uninstall Skype from my system.  Also, I must access msconfig via the safe mode so that the system will not crash on bootup.  My system works great only when I uninstall Skype.  I even tried turning off the firewall ....but again the system crashes...

Any other idea Ruwin?

levisouellet
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (419 Views)

You said “that immediately after installation Skype will run ok”. Go then to Tools -> Options -> General settings and uncheck the option “Start Skype when I start Windows”. Save. Quit Skype using the System Try icon. Reboot your computer. If Skype still starts with Windows, then there must be another application installed on your computer that starts with Windows and in turn starts Skype.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 8 (418 Views)

Hi Ruwin.....Thanks

When I download Skype and install it on my system it will work ok until I shut down the system.  However, it will not work from after I reboot....It will only work after a fresh and new install before I shut down my system. 

Once my system has shut down it will not work even after I try to start it from my a desk icon or program list....etc.... As soon as I try to start it my display goes wild with multi colored mosaic and the system shuts down and reboots under safe mode.     

I tried updating my video card driver but I had the most current one.  For your info I also have Logitech Wideo and Windows Live Messenger which work without any problems.

Go figure!!!!

Levis

levisouellet
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (413 Views)

Open Windows Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for any new error or warning messages appearing after reboot.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 8 (411 Views)

Thanks Ruwin.....

I will try this and will let you know how I fare with this suggestion.  Thanks

levisouellet
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (407 Views)

Hi Ruwin.....

No luck with this suggestion....I will try to look and install an older version of Skype which worked well and see how I fare.

Levis

levisouellet
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 8 (396 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling