webcam not working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

webcam not working

message cannot find webcam or webcam is in use. Have integrated webcam Acer 5734Z laptop windows 7 and no other program is using it. Have tried every suggestion. Have not been able to use the webcam for quite a while. Reinstalled drivers. Removed battery.

Changed compatability. Nothing works. Something keeps on switching the camera off.  

melaniev
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 19 (47,210 Views)

Re: webcam not working

What version of Skype for Windows do u have installed?  I was having same problem.  Message said "cam is in use somewhere else...." (or something like that) BUT Skype was the only thing I had opened!  I had to completely shut down my Laptop ,then sign back on, then Re-Open Skype and my Cam was working again!  It didnt happen all the time just periodically.  I was told to INSTALL THE LATEST VERSION OF SKYPE that supposedly fixes this issue that "many" are having with their cam not opening...the latest version of Skype for Windows is 5.9.0.114.  I did the installation and except for just 1 time (after installing this new version "cam is in use somewhere else" did pop up again just once),it's been fine.  I am still monitering this issue to see if it ever pops up again.  So install 5.9.0.114 Skype for Windows if u have not done so already.  Good luck!

af4
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 33
Message 2 of 19 (47,202 Views)

Oh,I forget to tell you where to go for the installation of the latest Skype for Windows version 5.9.0.114,and it explains  all the fixes this version does:  http://blogs.skype.com/garage/windows/

af4
Honorary Adventurer
Kudos: 33
Message 3 of 19 (47,196 Views)

ASUS N53SV-XE1  w7 64 bit

i too have tried every fix mentioned in every thread i can find concerning the same issue (that apparently many have), including version 5.9.x  with no success.

skype simply will not work with the integrated webcam (same message. it says other pgms are using it. they are not.).

i have 4 pc's here incl a thinkpad with integrated webcam and it works fine w vers 5.8.x as does my asus with an outboard (logitech) webcam, and a dell desktop (vista) with outboard.

but i cannot get the asus to work w integrated cam.  

tcirillo
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 19 (47,131 Views)

I have an ASUS K50I Laptop running Win7 and Sype version 5.9.0.123.

When I click on tools/options/video settings. the camera will just churn and my light on my camera comes on...but it does not display anything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Penrath
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 19 (46,800 Views)

Dear skype,

I can connect and see and hear someone else but they cannot see or hear me.

Kind regards,

Barbara

bobbyb
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 19 (45,779 Views)

Hi Greetings!

I am using the 5.10...version.

The integ webcam on my HP pavilion g6 was working fine until recent and then suddenly it started giving the error ' can't connect to webcam, is used by another program'...which is not true. Same thing happened y'day on my other Acer laptop which is a USB webcam. It was using fine and when i made a new video call, then bam! the error msg. Can someone help me on this.

afzal7296
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 19 (44,772 Views)

i had the same problem but when i started my computer again it worked.

It was very strange but it worked so maybe you can try that also.

Good luck

manonwintjes
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 19 (42,580 Views)

i have the same laptop and the same problem. were you able to fix it? any suggestions?
Holleric
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 19 (40,021 Views)

Holleric wrote:
i have the same laptop and the same problem. were you able to fix it? any suggestions?

First check your webcam is listed in Device Manager >> Imaging Devices.

Click Start >> Run >> Type devmgmt.msc

removewebcam.PNG

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6508
Message 10 of 19 (40,019 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling