superhigh cpu load in videocalls

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

superhigh cpu load in videocalls

hi guys,

I am setting up the following system and get superhigh cpu loads when making video calls, like 90-100% and choppy playback and even when just using audio the CPU goes up to 50-60%.

My system is like this:

Windows Vista x86 with al the latest updates

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

1 GB of memory

Logitech c270 webcam

I have tried reducing the resolution of the webcam, but dont see any improvement in the reduction of cpu load. still high.

I have attached all the necessary debug logs. hope you can help.

kikkegek
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (630 Views)

Re: superhigh cpu load in videocalls

What version of Skype are you running?   FWIW, it seems that the beta version, 5.7.0.123, may be a little lighter on CPU resources. 

www.skype.com/go/getskype-beta

Older versions, going back to 4.2, also used less CPU if you want to give that a try.

http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php

Also, if you want to post logfiles for Skype, you need to do so in the developer's Jira forum.  Nobody here will be able to read them.

http://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/ReportIssue#_Toc268158936

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 924
Message 2 of 7 (550 Views)

thanks. I am using the latest 5.5 version.

already tried the beta, no improvement

kikkegek
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (546 Views)

I’m not sure how much this will help with your Skype problems, but definitely, 1 GB RAM is very little for aVistasystem, especially with a graphic card using shared memory. Maybe just extra 1GB will help.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6562
Message 4 of 7 (541 Views)

thanks ruwin, but the system is only using 500-600MB of the total 1 GB. So no shortage in memory there.

and I am using a Ati Radeon 9500 Pro AGP8x videocard and not the onboard videocard.

kikkegek
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 7 (534 Views)

I have the same or similar problem.  I have a new core i3 laptop running win7 and 4GB RAM and usb logitech C270 webcam.  If I set thread affinity on skype.exe then during a video call the cpu slowly ramps up over 20 - 30 seconds to use all of the selected core.  Other cores (or Hyper Threads) are also used but at about 10-20%.  System.exe and umvpfsrv.exe are the next highest cpu apps in task manager.  If I disconnect the webcam then re-connect, then cpu useage goes right down and then will sowly ramp up again.

It can obviously run at a low cpu useage as it does at the start.  Something is going wrong and causing a processor loop (either Skype or the webcam drivers).  Everyhting is up todate with latest skype and webcam drivers.

It is driving me round the bend. 

alc_ardvark
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (466 Views)

Re: superhigh cpu load in videocalls - RESOLVED

[ Edited ]

I found a logitech support forum with a fix.  It is the latest 2.30 drivers that are the problem.  If you downgrade to the 2.27 drivers then it appears to be OK.

direct link to 2.27 drivers mentioned in forum article

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Webcams/BSOD-0x1000008e-in-lvuvc-sys-for-Webcam-C270-on-Windows-7-SP1/...

uninstall current drivers and install this older driver (I just installed the driver and not bundles software).

CPU at 18% (was 40-50% over 4 cores)

alc_ardvark
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 7 (460 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling