sound doesn't work

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

sound doesn't work

sound and mic work outside of skype. the error message says that is can't find the sound card for both mic and sound. how can i fix it?

micha11
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (6,105 Views)

Re: sound doesn't work

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please also see these:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

http://support.skype.com/en-us/category/CALL_QUALITY/

Note: the above link has 2 pages so please view them both.

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA265/How-can-I-make-a-test-call

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10746/How-can-I-improve-my-audio-quality

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

A new version has just been released August 02, 2011:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

This new version is 5.5.0.113 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 694
Message 2 of 9 (5,842 Views)

i tried that the both the mic and the speaker work when i run the testes. its just when i go to make a call it fails.

micha11
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (5,839 Views)

Do you have the most current version of the Skype client program installed?

You call fails for Skype to Skype calls phone calls both?

What happens when you click on the bar Icon, during the call, what are your audio device settings, have they changed? Are you using any 3rd party software/devices?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

Please also see this:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10658/How-can-I-ensure-my-DirectX-and-graphics-drivers-are-wor...

Also, you can use the Skype client program window at anytime and do:

Hellp -> Call Quality Guide -> Sound Check Wizard

A new version has just been released August 02, 2011:

Please click the "Get Skype" link at the top of this page and download the normal version of Skype, NOT the beta version to get this new version.

This new version is 5.5.0.113 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 9 (5,837 Views)

i have the newest version of skype. some calls fail and some dont even go through. the sound and microphone settings pop up in red during a call says to check your sound card but everything on my laptop is updated so i dont understand why it wont work. any ideas?

micha11
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 9 (5,828 Views)

If you are using Win7 Please try this:

Open Windows Event Viewer. Go to Custom Views -> Administrative Events. Look for the recent error messages. Click on any errors and post the details here if they happen at the time things fail.

Otherwise do this:

Using your Windows Control Panel:

Adminstrator Tools -> Event Viewer

Click on System and later Applications, do you see any errors logged during the times this happens, if so what errors ("If you click on the errors you can get more details and copy/paste them here")?

Also, please check times after you reboot to see if any errors are produced when you system is restarting.

Are you current with ALL Windows Updates and any Updates from your manufacturers web site for your system and any attached devices?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 9 (5,820 Views)

i just got my laptop so i called and made they told me how to make sure everything was updated so it all shoud be. heres the error message:

EventData
   AUDIODG.EXE
   4ce7abf9
   FMAPO64.dll
   4cc99625
   c0000005
   00000000000d0990
   2e0
   01cc588ccd1a4bcc
   C:\Windows\system32\AUDIODG.EXE
   C:\Windows\system32\FMAPO64.dll
   6ea71437-c480-11e0-8e69-cc52af8108c4
micha11
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 9 (5,812 Views)

If your computer is a Lenovo model, then you may indeed need to get the newest updates, they are very recent. See this article about a similar error message.

forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Audiodg-exe-failure/td-p/443175

However, my own experience with audiodg.exe related errors is that they are often caused by enhancements of sound effects. You may try to remove all sound enhancemets using Sound control panel and see if this helps.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5950
Message 8 of 9 (5,806 Views)

i went on the levovo website and i do have the most current drivers downloaded. i turned off the enhancemets and it is still not working. the sound works and the microphone work outside of skype. and the sound only fails when i go to make the call if i run the testes on skype before it says it works fine

micha11
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (5,794 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling