skype server

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

skype server

i would like to run a skype server on a windows 7 pc. just for hosting calls. we have little bandwidth here so whoever hosts uploads too much data. any idea how?

biatche
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 18 (8,990 Views)

Re: skype server

Skype doesn't offer a product called Skype Server. Can you describe what you are trying to archive, maybe there are other ways to do it. 

Peter
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 18 (8,974 Views)

say im the host, i will lag when there are multiple users because of my low upload bandwidth. now, i have a pc located remotely with a good line. yes, i can use a remote control software to control the pc and host vnc, but its rather troublesome. any other better way?

biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 18 (8,963 Views)

How many users are we talking about? The bandwith should not be very high unless all are using Video.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 500
Message 4 of 18 (8,959 Views)

We're talking about 3rd world country here. I monitor my latency so.. I just know my bandwidth's at limit when I host. I have a server elsewhere which i can VNC to. I hope to use this to host my skype sessions

biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 18 (8,955 Views)

You never answered my question, how many Skype clients and please read this here on Skype terms of service:

Please click the "Legal" link on the lower right bottom of this page.

Maybe some general information of what you are trying to do and for whom and what Skype services would help.

Saying "We're talking about 3rd world country here" is not any detail on what you are trying to do and for whom and for how many at a time and using what Skype services.

I am trying to see if what you wish to do is possibly violating any Skype Terms of use based on me reading the documents located in the link above.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 18 (8,951 Views)

5 users -- group conversation. Would like 6-8 users. A "server" would be nice because my personal upload bandwidth is just 384kbit. I have a server else where which is 200mbit.

biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 18 (8,946 Views)

Just one thought. Skype to Skype voice calls are peer to peer. The only interaction with Skype central is when you login and when the call is being set up. I'd have thought having a private server is not going to make much difference.

oaksys
Esteemed Adventurer
Kudos: 15
Message 8 of 18 (8,930 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you ran a logged on Skype client on the server and created a group chat you might be able to use this method to handle this: tinyurl.com/6fpy3kr

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 9 of 18 (8,926 Views)

are you suggesting that, any 1 person in a 5 person conversation. when this person talks, he sends data to 4 others? not the creator of the group chat?

biatche
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 18 (8,904 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling