skype is slowing my computers

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

skype is slowing my computers

when running other applications (does not matter if doing something on facebook or running a local program), my computer slows down a lot and then i get a message that skype has crashed. this has been going for some time so i leaned to completly stop skype when i'm not using skype. but my computer still slows down and this time i get a message that skype add-ons has crashed.

should i just completly uninstall skype to get my computer's profomance back? maybe i can do that on one of the computers and if the problem goes away then uninstall skype on all my computers.

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

Just to be sure that this horrible Click-to-Call Skype add-on is totally out of your system, uninstall it using Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

View solution in original post
akoopal
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (6,856 Views)

Re: skype is slowing my computers

Which Skype add-ons do you have installed?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5971
Message 2 of 6 (6,812 Views)

i don't know which Skype add-ons have been installed and i would have not installed any had i known it was Skype. i understand that the new versions of Skype instals prorgams and makes changes that i may not want it on my computer.

i guess i have to roll up my sleeves and find out what has been installed and how i can get them off.

by the way i run windows 7 home edition on SAMSUNG lap top and windows 7 ultimate on a DELL lap top. i get the same problem on both computers. it is okay on a desktop with Linux but i don't use the desktop that often (have been too lazy to learn Linux well enough). and i use Google Chrome as my web browser.

akoopal
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (6,805 Views)

Look in your browser which add-ons/toolbars are actually installed.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 6 (6,797 Views)

i did disable Skype from my browser yesterday. there was an Icon there that i could click to make a call. i think that's why i keep getting the message that Skye was not responding even when i had closed it.

this is not good. a software that i use once in a great while is intruding into my total system.

akoopal
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (6,785 Views)

Just to be sure that this horrible Click-to-Call Skype add-on is totally out of your system, uninstall it using Control Panel -> Programs and Features.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 6 (6,781 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling