skype home screen littered with unwanted icons / m...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

skype home screen littered with unwanted icons / messages

(skype version = 5.10.32.116)

why is my skype home screen littered with icons as in the screen shot?

how do i get rid of them?

how do i prevent them from appearing in the first place?

Please use plain text.
pulaka
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (1,881 Views)

Re: skype home screen littered with unwanted icons / messages

you can selectively hide these mood message updates from your contacts, and you can optionally prevent them from being displayed on a contact-by-contact basis

hover your mouse pointer near the top left corner of each update until you see 'X' and then click on that to see your options
Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 273
Message 2 of 8 (1,868 Views)

Hi Neil,

Thankyou for your reply.

Well a partial improvement. I guess i have to be thankful for that. I.e.

(1) I was able to 'hide' the set of icons generated from my sister, although really I would just like to delete them completely.  Is it not possible to delete these unwanted messages / icons completely? 

(2) However the set of icons / messages generated from my own identity apparently cannot even be hidden.  I.e. no 'X' appears when I hover my mouse pointer near the top left corner of each update. Please see attached screen shot to see updated status.

The messages generated under my own identity seem to happen when i press the 'hangup' button on my Plantronics (Savi 7xx) headset.  I contacted Plantronics about that, to ask why their headset generates those messages in Skype.  They told me that the Plantronics headset (or driver) is not generating those messages and that it must be skype that is doing it.

Is there a setting to disable all such messages appearing in the first place?

thanks.

Please use plain text.
pulaka
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 8 (1,860 Views)

[ Edited ]

pulaka wrote:

(1) I was able to 'hide' the set of icons generated from my sister, although really I would just like to delete them completely.  Is it not possible to delete these unwanted messages / icons completely? 

no, it's not

pulaka wrote:

(2) However the set of icons / messages generated from my own identity apparently cannot even be hidden.

that is correct

pulaka wrote:
The messages generated under my own identity seem to happen when i press the 'hangup' button on my Plantronics (Savi 7xx) headset.  I contacted Plantronics about that, to ask why their headset generates those messages in Skype.  They told me that the Plantronics headset (or driver) is not generating those messages and that it must be skype that is doing it.

Skype doesn't generate such messages, and it should be easy to prove

Tools|Options|Advanced --> Manage other programs' access to Skype

temporarily DISALLOW access by any program you see there, click OK and then test again -- don't forget to click Save

if the issue stops, then it was NOT Skype that was responsible for it

pulaka wrote:
Is there a setting to disable all such messages appearing in the first place?

nope, sorry, not that I'm aware of

Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 8 (1,842 Views)

(2) However the set of icons / messages generated from my own identity apparently cannot even be hidden.

re.

that is correct

Is there any good reason for that?

Please use plain text.
pulaka
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 8 (1,807 Views)

pulaka wrote:

Is there any good reason for that?

if you can think of one, let me know :wink:

Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 8 (1,796 Views)

I eventually found the setting in my Plantronics headset software to stop the 'In a Call' messages from being propogated to all on my 'friends' list.  Even though Plantronics helpdesk were not able to point me to it, the setting is:

Plantronics Control Panel > Preferences > 'Enable auto presence update on Microsoft OC/Lync and Skye' (uncheck the option)

Now if I could only delete the my own messages from Skype home page!  It seems very silly not to have any option to do that.

Please use plain text.
pulaka
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 8 (1,761 Views)

idiot skype develpers cant figure it out. hey guys lets move to googletalk !!!

Please use plain text.
Ramblon
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 8 (346 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling