skype.exe *32 Process is hogging cpu time

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

skype.exe *32 Process is hogging cpu time

I have windows 7, Ultimate, 64bit.  My skype version is 5.8.0.154

The skype.exe *32 Process is hogging cpu time... It is constantly running, causing my computer to run about 10 degrees warmer than at idle.

I've killed the process and reloaded skype and it does the same thing, runs at number two on cpu time next to System Idle Process.

A little help on this would be great, thanks.

MattSlick
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (7,803 Views)

Re: skype.exe *32 Process is hogging cpu time

Are you talking about when Skype is idling, doing nothing?

I have 3 machines here, an old Win XP Pro SP3 box, a Win 7 Home Premium (x64) SP1 laptop with an i3 CPU, and my main machine with an i7 CPU, Win 7 Pro (x64) SP1, and on all 3 Skype 5.8.0.154 CPU use is zero when Skype is idling.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 861
Message 2 of 14 (7,650 Views)

MattSlick wrote:

I have windows 7, Ultimate, 64bit.  My skype version is 5.8.0.154

The skype.exe *32 Process is hogging cpu time... It is constantly running, causing my computer to run about 10 degrees warmer than at idle.

I've killed the process and reloaded skype and it does the same thing, runs at number two on cpu time next to System Idle Process.

A little help on this would be great, thanks.

Please double check that you are not runnning in compatibility mode:

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

You can also use a IP Camera as your camera for Skype video Example Instructions
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 501
Message 3 of 14 (7,636 Views)

Yes, the machine is at idle.

MattSlick
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 14 (7,618 Views)

Thanks.

It is not running in compatibility mode.

I have all the updates...except I don't use IE 9. I use IE 8.

It is still hogging cpu time.  I raises the cpu temp by 10 degrees F.

Weird.

Could still use some help.  Thanks.

MattSlick
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (7,617 Views)

Do you have a way of monitoring your bandwidth use?  DU Meter or something like it?  I'm wondering if you're being used as a Super Node.

If you set your status in Skype to offline, does Skype still use 25% CPU?

Are you behind an NAT router?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 861
Message 6 of 14 (7,607 Views)

I had the same issue.

Windows 7 - 64 bit - Service Pack 1

Skype Version: 5.8.0.158

skype.exe *32 running at 25%

I went to c:\program files (x86)\skype\phone > Right click on skype.exe > Properties > Compatibility tab > Check "Run this program in compatibilty mode for:" and select "Windows 7" in the drop down.  Click OK.  Right click on the Skype icon on the taskbar and select "Quit Skype".  Re-open Skype and my problem was fixed.

Hopes this works for you too!

pc_help
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 14 (7,421 Views)

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU!!! was going crazy as I run two skypes at once and between them was 100%, could hardley get my mouse to move. Your solution worked a treat.

I was on skype version 5.10.0.114

Sort it out skype!!!

uchoose
Casual Tourist
Message 8 of 14 (7,137 Views)

What was happening for me was this:  my computer would just choke and I would look in task manager and see that there would be multiple instances of skype.exe *32 Process running and sucking down all of my cpu.  After some troubleshooting here is what I found.

Opening skyp got skype.exe *32 Process running as was expected.  Closing skype would not stop it. In fact, about 10 seconds after closing skype, the skype.exe *32 Process would jump up to 49 or 50% cpu usage and stay there.  So unknown to me, if I would restart skype, it would repeat itself.  Upon closing the second one, now the multiple skype.exe *32 Proceses would really eat the cpu time up.  At first glance, task manager would show in the application tab that skype was not running, but process tab showed as mentioned above.  Could not fix it.

But setting the program to win7 compabiility fixed it.  Thanks!  Silly of me to not think of that.  :happy:  I mean, I should have known to set a program to run in compatibility mode for the same os that it was being installed in.  Duh!  Skype really needs to fix this one because I am sure there are many other users with the same issue.

urtica
Casual Tourist
Message 9 of 14 (7,089 Views)

win 7 compatibility did not help me , but i went into skype settings , disconnected from facebook , and that solved my problem of skype hogging 30% CPU

ecohealer
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 14 (6,657 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling