skype cant connect

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

skype cant connect

when i get to the screen where i log in and put my password that works, but it loads for a very long time and eventually says skype cant connect. ive looked through many of these other messages and this seems to be the top problem, all of my other websites work on my internet so that is not the problem. ive tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. doesnt work. ive checked all of my firewall settings and they allow it, im not sure what is wrong help? :/

mattwalls11
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 46 (1,560 Views)

Re: skype cant connect

i have installed 5.5 and it also does not work, i have tried literally everything. it worked before im not sure what happened. i didnt install anything new to stop this from working. other programs that need to be connected to the internet dont work either, but my actual internet does work

mattwalls11
Casual Adventurer
Message 2 of 46 (1,547 Views)

mattwalls11 wrote:

other programs that need to be connected to the internet dont work either, but my actual internet does work

how do you know there's nothing wrong with your connection to the internet if other network apps fail as well?

this doesn't sound like a Skype issue

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 397
Message 3 of 46 (1,535 Views)

well i know for a fact there is nothing wrong with my connection to the internet. i am on the internet right now. i just unplugged my routers connection cables, didnt work either.

mattwalls11
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 46 (1,532 Views)

and im sure if i fix this issue, the other internet connection issues will be solved too. so in a way yes it is a skype issue
mattwalls11
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 46 (1,524 Views)

the only way to be sure that your connection to the internet is working is to be able to actually successfully access something on the internet

plugging in cables doesn't prove anything

terribly sorry, but if you want further help getting Skype to work, you're going to have to provide a lot more background information about your setup -- thus far you've provided virtually nothing

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 46 (1,522 Views)

i am successfully accessing every web page i go to on the internet i can type anything in and it works. but skype isnt connecting to the internet. the internet works. skype doesnt.

mattwalls11
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 46 (1,512 Views)

[ Edited ]

mattwalls11 wrote:

i am successfully accessing every web page i go to on the internet

well earlier you said "other programs that need to be connected to the internet dont work either"

what were you referring to then?

we also need a lot more info about your setup (router, firewall, wired/wireless, OS, AV, etc)

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 46 (1,500 Views)

we have same issue on laptop but not on desktop? any # to call to figure this out...?thanks,
alice16571
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 46 (1,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

alice16571 wrote:
we have same issue on laptop but not on desktop? any # to call to figure this out...?thanks,

while you may have the same symptom, the cause is NOT necessarily the same, and to troubleshoot your problem here makes helping the original poster more difficult because the thread gets 'muddied' by multiple conversations -- it also makes it difficult for other users in the future to seek out solutions

it is a violation of forum rules to hi-jack someone else's thread -- you are welcome to contribute to finding a resolution to the original poster's problem, or you can follow the thread in the hope that your issue turns out to be the same

otherwise please start your own thread

there is also no number to call for support -- however you can contact Skype customer support here

https://support.skype.com/

this is community support, not an official Skype support channel

Regards,
Neil
Neil
Super Adventurer
Message 10 of 46 (1,483 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling